1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Couple salting questions

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Slate Run, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

First off I know by salting the cape it helps remove the fluids out of the cape but does the salt help in killing bacteria? Secondly when I salt capes and hang to dry after being salted a couple of times some of my capes do not dry white and hard like others. They feel dry to touch but are not turning white like usual. Its usually not the whole cape that does this. They are usually spotty. Some parts turn white-some don't. Any idea what might be causing this? I have been setting them in front of a fan but still not turning white. Should I be concerned about this or should they be ok. I have them commercially tanned

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Salt inhibits bacteria growth, don't worry about the spots not being white, as long as you did a thorough job of rubbing the salt into the skin, getting every inch

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I found that areas that had salt still physically on the skin when I hung them to dry turned white and areas that had very little salt still attached would not get that white color and was kind of like an air dried skin.