1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

King Eider Hunt

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Eddy Blanco, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

So I am about to bite the bullet and book the hunt on St.Paul Island. Curious if anyone here has gone on this hunt? If so, what was your experience. It has gone way up in price to an almost 10K hunt

ROCKYMN likes this.
  2. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

Wow....all these bird experts and not one comment!?

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

At 10k their probably not a lot of us knocking their door down to book a hunt. At least it would be out of my range.

4. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

10K?? ? Rent a boat and go out where those ducks are and save yourself some money

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I will gladly mount your King Eiders for you and talk with you about your hunt trip when you return!

3bears likes this.
  6. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

Thanks for the offer but my bird taxidermy is excellent

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

I dont know man.kings are beautiful birds and the trip looks amazing,I personally wouldnt fork over 10k plus tip for a duck hunt.bit if its what your into i say go for it.

8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Great we love looking at everybody's work! Pictures?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    smalliestalker and 3bears like this.
  9. It's 6000.00 for the hunt and a good one.I was there in 1991 and saw hundreds of kings and brought back 8 drakes kings plus harliquins, squaws, scoters and more call Charlie he will hook you up.

10. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

It is $5600 just for the hunt, plus airfare to AK - about $800- 1K round trip and $900 on the hop to St. Paul Is. round trip. You are only allowed to take 2-3 boxes of shells, you buy them from Charlie - no problem. Hotel in AK for 2 nights and hunting license and duck stamps. You are only allowed 4 kings, 2 harlis and 2 oldsquaws and he mentioned other ducks, but no idea on the limits. I'm going no matter what it costs, but it is every bit of 10K when all is said and done. I'm also applying for a permit to kill an Emperor Goose.

Len likes this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That sounds like one hell of an adventure to scratch off the bucket list, I wish you well and great success.

12. vfcole

vfcole Member

Don't expect much, except to get a king eider or two, that's all you are there for. I went in 2007 and once each person in our group got at least one nice king drake, the guide was done with us. Unless there is something new on the island, be prepared to watch a lot of TV or bring a book or two. Hopefully, the guides running hunts now will take better care of you. We hunted from a boat, which was the best way, and from the shore. Hunting from the shore was very difficult during our trip. It was pass shooting while sleeting plus waves splashing us, winds 20-30 mph and so dark it was hard to pick out nice drakes. The year we went the first group couldn't get out to the island due to weather, the next group only got to hunt the last day, again due to weather. We were only able to hunt two days for the same reason, blizzard-white out conditions. Not sure about the limits now but we could take 4 of each species of sea duck up to 20 total. Four hunters got kings (10 total, 5 which were nice drakes), white-winged scoters (2), harlequin (2), and old squaw (4). We saw a bufflehead (shot by the locals on the island), Steller's eider pair and 3 spectacled eiders but no emperor's geese. I'm glad I went but base upon other "hunts" of lifetime I've been on, this one was subpar and simply checking king eiders off the list. Good luck if you are able to go.

Vic

13. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

Those guides would've gotten no tip!

14. Man, trip of a lifetime! I envy you. Hoping one day to do it myself. Please post pics when you return and be safe.

15. Craig Ciola

Craig Ciola New Member

actually,......I believe both Charlie and Captn. Moe are usually fully booked.

16. Craig Ciola

Craig Ciola New Member

It's all weather dependent...........not up to the guides efforts. 25ft waves a couple of the days we were there.....your guides not going to put your life in danger to go out in that. There are plenty of birds there.....hundreds of kings. Its the weather and sea that makes or breaks your hunt. Believe me.....you are at the end of the earth....anything at all goes wrong and you are in big, big trouble. My son and I went this past Jan......and were fortunate to bring back some dandy Kings and Harlies. But as I said.....there were a number of days that we couldn't even think about going out in the open ocean and had to shoot from the points in high wind and surf.

17. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

I found several other hunts with better weather, more kings allowed and a lot less money