1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Drying area

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by wilcox1088, Feb 14, 2018.

1. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

i had a quick question on if it would be ok to hang finished or drying deer heads in the back of my shop where there is no ac. I’m just running out of room but I wasn’t sure if it would hurt the mounts in the summer months. I’m in southeast Texas so it gets pretty warm. Thanks for any advice

Wildthings likes this.
  2. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Anyone?

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I don't do leather much, but I would say the humidity has more to do with it than the heat. SW Texas is pretty dry (I think). Buy a gauge that will tell you what the humidity is. I would want it below 35% . Maybe the deer guys will post up something from experience.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I hung capes to dry in 90 degree weather. Here in Oregon, when we have 90 degree weather, the humidity is usually between 30 and 50%. As Brooke said, humidity is the factor.

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

As you know we are neighbors and I can tell you from experience it will not hurt them. My shop you've been to, had no A/C, OK only when I was in there! Just keep an eye on them as they dry and tweak daily. Right now nothing is drying with 94% humidity, my entire shop floor looks like I've been mopping it

6. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Ok. I’ll give it a try. Thanks everyone