1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sending capes to tannery question?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Trapperstaub, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Trapperstaub

Trapperstaub New Member

How do all u full timers mark and identify the deer capes u send to tannery to be tanned? I’m part time transitioning into full time and I punch holes in the skin at skull plaque and the write down the number of holes. That being said I’m getting more and more deer every year and it just seems like there’s a better way to mark and identify capes than to punch 30+ holes in the hide so I’d like to know what everyone else does

2. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Use the search function type “punching codes in capes” it will be the first post there. Talking about codes in capes.

3. Leapin

Leapin Member

Buy animal ear tags from Tractor Supply store. Try to buy small two digit numbers. When your customer brings in his deer put one of the ear tags on the rack with a cable tie. Then for example using the number 24 you will punch two holes ## in the cape this represents the twenty then move below those two holes and punch four holes #### this represents the digit 4. Now you have 24 punched in your cape to match the rack with the 24 ear tag. Hope this makes sense to you. Good Luck!!!

lrc1492 likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind is that some tanneries will remove the tags and not replace them. I prefer punch code myself.

5. headstuffer84

headstuffer84 New Member

I use small cattle tags, attach the tag to a ear butt with a jip tie. I never had an issue with the tannery, actually that is what they recommend.

6. gab

gab Active Member

punch code.be sure to punch on upper back not in brisket

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I use the ear tags, down near area that will be trimmed off after mounting.