1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

State record sturgeon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Dark Man, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine just speared the state record sturgeon for Wisconsin. (7ft 145 lbs) i'm looking around for a taxidermists to do a repo for it I told him id shop around for him. I would totally do it for him but unfortunately fish don't have feathers lol.Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated thanks fellas

Jason

2. Dark Man

IMG_1250.PNG

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well, you have one of the best fish guys right in your backyard that might be able to do this. Josh Knuth - KnuthArt.com (920)-279-7035. He's in Oshkosh B-gosh!

4. Dark Man

Man i must be losing it lcompletely forgot about josh and he lives like 5 blocks from me.

5. Steve.J

Steve.J Member

PM Sent

6. Dark Man

Thank you all for the replies and PMs i've passed along all the info

Jason

7. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Call Jimmy Lawrence... He has been into some large fish molding...

8. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

I just saw a photo of a sturgeon from Wisconsin that makes that fish look small, not knocking this fish though

kperry1963 likes this.
  9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

How? that fish above was just named the Wisconsin state record.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

If the fish isn’t available for molding the largest blank available that isn’t junk is 65 inches. Only reason I know that is is because I did one a few months ago. There are only 12 lake sturgeon molds out here. Could rework a blank but replicating a sturgeons skin texture out be damn near impossible

Attached Files:

11. FishArt

I can pretty much guess how this one probably goes. Potential customer finds out price and sits down from sticker shock. Starts calling around to see if he can negotiate a better price or more likely, asking for it for FREE in exchange for the notoriety of doing the state record. There's not too many taxi's out there that could do this job well IMO and those that can do not need the notoriety! Plus, if molded they'll probably never pull another blank from it! So, some newbie takes on the job for the notoriety and produces a poorly finished skin mount probably. Or even more likely, the customer opts instead for a photo of his potential state record!

Josh might do it for a fair price just because he really likes doing the weird stuff - lol! I don't know if he has the time actually. He's been pretty busy with other projects and his fish business. Jimmy, I didn't think of simply due to the costs involved with getting the fish to him. But, yes he would be another one on the top of my list.

Cecil likes this.
  12. Hovland

Hovland Member

Google it!! Wisc DNR list of record fish--Largest speared sturgeon in Wisc is 84.25 inches, 212 lbs.

13. FishArt

Maybe it's a "line class spear" lol!

14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Best lake sturgeon I’ve seen is Terry Weicks Skin mount from worlds

15. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Those big fish are a chore to mold. Hopefully the department will step in and decide they need one or two for DNR offices. That makes the whole thing more pallatable. That happened here in missouri with the w.R. blue cat a few years ago.(132lbs) The guy who caught it was unemployed I think because of a disability. It sat in his freezer for a year or so and I was able to strike a deal with the conservation dept. Mike Kirkhart and I molded that one together. It's certainly a two man job on those jumbos.

FishArt likes this.
  16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I remember doing a few state records for the "advertisement." What was dumb about it was I had and still have more work than I need, so why was I shorting myself? Wised up on that one!

Bill Leech has a good response to people that want a deal on mounting state records. He says I should charge you even more as you'll be hounding me to get it done!

3bears likes this.