1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

grease bleed on old walleye mounts?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shorefisherman, Feb 16, 2018.

1. I've noticed on old walleye mounts theres a yellow brown grease on the jaws and parts of the head, and now I noticed a little bit on my first walleye mount I did 8 years ago.

Whats the best way to prevent this. All I've done on my walleyes is wash them in dawn dish soap for a few minutes, and soak them in borax water for a few days.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You could soak them in a degreaser along with what you're doing (some taxidermists degrease all fish), but it may just be inevitable on some fish. Are you sealing your fish before painting? Perhaps there was no sealing on those old walleye mounts?

I've had mounted fish come in like that, and I wipe the grease off with lacquer thinner several times until it doesn't come out anymore. Then seal and repaint.

Anybody else?

BTW I've had what appeared to be grease bleeding on fish that came from the home of a heavy smoker or a bar.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What I've done with old mounts that came in for a refurbish, is like what Cecil said, wipe with thinner or acetone, and hang over an indirect heat source, helps to keep that grease flowing, I think. After it appears to be done coming out, I seal it with kills primer and repaint. It seems the grease shows up in the white areas anyway.

Cecil likes this.
  4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

my choice would be to use an artificial head whenever possible.Whenever i have a re-do, i replace the old head with a repro.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

IMO if properly de-greased, you shouldn't have any issues down the road with most walleyes unless maybe if it's getting really big, maybe into the teens weight-wise. And even then, I doubt you'd see any grease bleed if prepped properly.

"A few minutes in Dawn", you might as well not bother! And borax is a preservative, not really a degreaser. I would imagine it pulls out some oils, but borax this soon with basically zero degreasing might even lock in some of the oils. I dunno.

My method is to soak in cold water and Dawn for about an hour, rinse, dry and then the skins go into the bucket of mineral spirits overnight. Back in the Dawn and cold water for about a half hour and replace Dawn/water with fresh and do it again. Soak in clean fresh cold water for about a half hour then into the preservative. Acetone, I believe is the best degreaser out there, but evaporates too much IMO so I go to what I believe is second best, Mineral Spirits. I think you can get by with just Dawn on smaller fish, but certainly you need to soak much longer than a few minutes. AND, making sure all the meat is out is also imperative. Most of our first fish we probably didn;t do very good at getting all the meat out. Just my way of doing this.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

One thing that has not been brought up. I have found hanging fish too long from the rafters before sealing can sometime bring out some oils. As in my own fish I never seem to get to. Anybody else?

7. FishArt

I dunno, I can't reach my rafters - lol! I've never noticed any grease bleed on any fish that soon afterwards Cecil. I think it typically happens over time. But, never really thought much about gravity doing it's thing. I'm kind've hoping there ain't enough oils left in there to worry about I guess. Interesting concept though...

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Is has nothing to do with gravity. And it takes months for the grease to show up and it doesn't show up on all the fish.

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Miracle Seal

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That come from a company down south doesn't it? I had someone recommend it to me some time ago, but I forgot about it til you mentioned it.

11. FishArt

Cecil, you lost me then. I'm not sure what you mean when they hang from the rafters grease bleeds out? Is it just the time thing then? My fish generally sit around for several months before I paint them and never noticed any issues. I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Dixie Panels I think use to have Miracle Seal. Never tried it, but I don't see it on their website anymore unless I missed it.

12. Thanks for all the info guys. Im definetely going to start doing a soak in dawn and then acetone to draw out more grease.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty it's a time thing.

FishArt likes this.
  14. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

You can get Miracle seal from Dixieland taxidermy supply it is good stuff 1-800-465-4577

Pescado likes this.
  15. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Great Stuff!!

16. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I do a number of greasy trout and salmon, and especially Lake Trout...they are the greasiest.I now use reproduction heads ( or cast one ) and fins since these are where the problem show up if you're going to see it. To de-grease the skin after fleshing I soak it in denatured alcohol sometimes for three days. The alcohol pulls the grease and oil out and you can actually see it in the bottom of the pail as a yellow goo. The skin shrinks up and you have to re-hydrate it in clean, fresh water until it comes back to it's natural state. I know a lot of you will criticize this method and tell me your way never shows grease but that's OK, this is my way and it works for me.

Bill Dishman likes this.
  17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I believe you JL. I use mineral spirts overnight and I too see the grease in the bottom of the pail. But the skin does not shrink up in the Mineral Spirits. Then the skin is soaked in a Dawn solution for about 20 minutes, rinsed well, and finally goes into my borax solution.

18. I tried acetone for the first time a few days ago. Did i measure wrong? Or did the acetone shrink the skin? I soaked it in water for a couple hours after an overnight in acetone to rehydrate, but seemed a bit too small for my form.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

May have to soak longer?

20. Probly, i still smelled a bit of acetone when i mounted the fish.