1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

grease bleed on old walleye mounts?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shorefisherman, Feb 16, 2018.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I've never used acetone to degrease, but M.S. is a solvent and your skin definitely needs a washing with Dawn/cold water before rinsing and then soaking in clean, cold water. I'm not sure if acetone would also need a Dawn washing or not. I do not know if it is solvent based. Acetone evaporates SO quickly that I would imagine most of it is gone. Personally, I would follow up (after washing) with either DA/Water or the borax solution overnight to help preserve. You're just degreasing if you're going from acetone to water to mounting. Probably doesn't matter much with fish skins anyway as long as you get all the meat out. But, I would rather err on the safe side. I like DA as a final soak before rinsing/soaking in cold water because DA not only acts as a preservative, it also degreases. Just my way of doing things!

shorefisherman likes this.
  2. jrr

jrr Member

On the underside of the gill plate up near the top of the head alot of people forget or dont know thats theirs a small piece of meat that needs to come out.and if u dont take it out,over time it will bleed down .

FishArt and shorefisherman like this.

3. Yes, any time i soak in water it at least has borax in it. Then i smear a little borax powder in meaty areas before the skin goes on the form.

FishArt likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

For sure. I even take the jaw meat out of pike and musky. I really should be using cast heads for them but I keep resisting that. Would make life easier too!

FishArt likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cecil you are probably right on this but, I'm like you, I keep resisting that. I don't like faking teeth so that may be it. Hell I don't know, I used the real teeth on a lake trout I cast the head for so maybe I should do the same for pike and musky.

FishArt likes this.