1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping Mounts

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by dwimberly, Feb 21, 2018.

1. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    I hear people talk about how cheap their options are to ship. What options do you use? I hear some people ship Turkey less than $100. I don't really understand how. How are they crating them etc.

I have a European mount I want to ship but I am guessing by the time I box this thing up and ship it then I will have at least 30 - 40 bucks in it, am I right, any ideas?

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Go Greyhound.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on hosing we are getting by the two major shippers.

4. livbucks

Much of the hosing results from declared values for the insurance you have never chance of collecting on.

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Yes insurance is a total waste of money as the major shippers will never pay a shipping claim on taxidermy. Never is a stretch but they have so many loop holes it is not worth the effort to try. A total rip off.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did you guys know the insurance with UPS is actually a different company? Must be quite profitable! I wish the insurance was the only factor though. As a business that ships, UPS charges me five separate charges for pick up. I told UPS to go to hell.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've had UPS to pay a claim (hell there was a forklift hole through the side of the box) but you had to really dig in and tell them otherwise was not acceptable. Tell them about the videos on the Internet about drivers throwing boxes.

Was told by a UPS employee in my area around Xmas time the UPS terminal has so many boxes they are walking on top of them. Also pull boxes from underneath on the trucks to get them to fall down and unload faster.

Funny thing is the drivers I have talked to aren't keen on how the company's being run. There were rumors the company wanted to cut pensions.

8. livbucks

I dont ship large packages, mostly cartons under 40 lbs. I drop them off at a UPS access point on my way home and never pay a pickup fee. Did you know you can just hand your packages to a UPS driver for free? Sometimes when I have them ready to go and the driver brings a package to me I will hand him what I got going out and again do not pay a fee. I mostly ship FedEx and drop them off at the depot for free as well. Most of my UPS outgoing is customers that want me to use their shipping account for the charges. I guess it makes their accounting easier or something.

socalmountainman likes this.
  9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Been researching shipping costs heavily the last few days and between the zones, box sizes/inches to stay under and crating methods shipping is an art-form all in itself to be able to ship things cost-effectively!

IMO insurance is not a total waste. I basically insure against total loss. I've learned the ins and outs of crating things well in the smallest boxes. Never had to make a claim for damage with fish I crated myself. And besides, the ten bucks or so it generally costs for extra insurance is paid by my customers. In fact as George would say, I don't pay a dime! (He's not wrong!)

USPS is my shipper of choice. Priority 2 day is pretty reasonable but ground is even cheaper. No guarantees either will get there in the time estimated. When you have to go ground though it can take awhile and I've had a customer or two pretty mad at USPS because they can't track very well and one customer ended up having to go pick his fish up due to a lazy delivery person (and about a week plus of waiting and taking off from work). USPS ground is the only way to go from a cost-effective approach for anything BIG enough to still go with the USPS. In fact I would even claim the USPS is the most cost-effective period. Plus, they will pickup your package for FREE in most areas if you set up an account with them.

SpeeDee is good and reasonable if they're in your area but for whatever reasons my boxes look like they've been beaten with a baseball bat sometimes when my customer receives his or her trophy from SpeeDee. No damage to the fish though - luckily.

2018 the big guys also changed their dimensional weight policy to cost even more for the bigger packages we normally ship. Not to mention their annual price increases in January. USPS policy for Dim Weight stayed the same as 2017. Price-wise I don't know if they increased but it doesn't matter - run the numbers, USPS is the cheapest.

P.S. $40 bucks for a European mount depends on the size of the box and how far you're shipping it. You can probably do a little more than half that if shipping to zone 1 or 2. Shipping from the midwest or east coast to the west coast, you might wish to budget a bit more than that especially if you require insurance and an adult signature like I do. JMO's

10. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I also have learned how to box things so they survive the mishandling of shipping. Since I know they won't pay a damage claim the best defense is to be sure it is packed well. That won't help if it gets run over by a fork lift but they are not going to pay the claim regardless.
    But, I don't feel comfortable charging a customer another $10+ for insurance on top of the already inflated shipping prices just for the possibility of a lost box. In this day of bar codes, the chance of a box getting lost in the maze is pretty remote. You can track every movement of a box on the computer. I'm willing to take that bet. If it gets lost it's on me.

FishArt likes this.
  11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I used to order from McKenzie on Thursdays so the UPS driver would arrive with my order on Monday, and I could just hand my outgoing package(s) to him. Unfortunately I was shipping weekly and didn't order from McKenzie weekly.

Did you know you even get charged for accessing your account on line to ship? That's bullshit.

12. livbucks

What fee is that? Never seen it. Do they hide it in the total?

13. FishArt

I think it's like your deductible on your auto insurance. You choose the amount based on the amount of risk you're willing to take. My average fish job these days is around $700 bucks. Many that I ship are more than that. Each time I consider not opting for the insurance and "self-insure", I chicken out - lol! Self insuring probably is the smartest way to go though. And I do think if the box is beat up from a fork lift running over it that I'd be willing to take the time to make a claim! Also, by using USPS I'm already easily saving $10 bucks per shipment vs UPS. The only drawback is the tracking with USPS. Packages do go missing (temporarily) with the USPS on occasion and their tracking stinks!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Nope didn't hide it. It was right there on the computer when I was going through the steps to send a box. I'd copy one of my invoices but it's been so long since I've used my UPS account it would take some time to find them. If I get some time (yeah right) I'll have the wife scan one of the receipts and post it here as you're not the first one that didn't believe me.

Another thing that miffed me was the audits that came back claiming my boxes were larger than states. The boxes were standard boxes from U-line. More bullshit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    FishArt likes this.
  15. FishArt

Cecil, I believe the dims listed as the sizes of the boxes are inside dimensions by Uline and the shippers go by the outside dims. So there MIGHT be a discrepancy. Plus, I know mine tend to bloat sometimes too in the middle - lol! Either way, it's safe to say that they'll go up an inch on each side even for the 1/8" or so thickness of the box. They getcha where they can! Another reason to use the USPS - they're a bit more lenient with the tape around me!

Cecil likes this.
  16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

You may be right. But it still ticked me off. :p

But it's irrelevant now. I don't use UPS anymore. ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just shipped a box USPS to Minnesota from Indiana. Was only $12.50. Would have probably been twice as much UPS and taken a day longer.