1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question maybe for Rick Krane on kranes gray?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jigginjim, Feb 21, 2018.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

What is difference between Candy kranes gray and Candy paynes gray? I do know one is a waterbase and the other can come in Lacquer. I'm finishing a Northern pike the tail was busted off short and really split up. After the fish dried I replaced the tail with a reproduction, I'm following some of the northern pike DVD. but interested in the difference in colors?

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Two totally different animals. Candy Paynes Gray by Lifetone/Hydromist is a watery dye. It has it's applications, but runs very easily. The Kranes Gray is a W&W product I believe with much more pigment in it. You can add water or extender base or other things to thin it to your taste. Can't remember which one it is, but one of them is slightly more blue and the other a more purple color to it. Very, very subtle difference though. I've gone away from the Lifetone Candies. Too hard to control the running. JMO...

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

if you lay some metallic powder down, then spray with a very thinned Payne’s grey you will get the same effect as any candy color. Just more customizable IMO.

FishArt likes this.
  4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Thanks guy, I have been mixing colors to match as close as i can to what this pike looked like when I received it, The Paynes grey does look like a more particles in the paint, as I was also using it to mix a sienna color for the tail. I have many pearl-ex powers and will be adding those into areas to giving different hues to my painting.

FishArt likes this.
  5. FishArt

Mudbat, you mean like how they've been painting cars candy colors since forever? ;) I don't think the hydromist "candies" have much metallic in them though if any - do they? At least I never noticed any. I think they're just a really neat name for a product that is exceptionally watered down for maximum profit - lol!

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep Marty, in order for the candy colors to pop the chrome or metallics and pearls are laid down first, Candy colors are a top coat, kind of like colors thinned with lots of clear , if you will knowledge gained from a past life.

FishArt likes this.
  7. FishArt

Yeah, I know 3Bears. I was being myself and a bit of a smart-alleck - lol. I guess I thought everybody that isn't a beginner knew how true candy paint jobs are created! Sorry all, just feeling a bit snarky today - lol!

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Isn't that the case every day?
    I was just reiterating your point or explaining it a little for those that may not have known.

FishArt likes this.
  9. FishArt

Ahhh, yeah lol. It just goes to show how much room there is for interpretation when typing on the internet eh 3Bears?

3bears likes this.
  10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Was simply trying to help out the OP

FishArt and Jimmy Lawrence like this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I get that and it does work so, don't think I was saying otherwise. I can't speak for Marty but, I don't think he was either. It's all good.

12. FishArt

Mudbat, it was a good tip. I'm sorry but me and my friends give each other grief all of the time and it's hard to stop doing it when I'm on the internet giving online friends grief too! I did put one of those little "winkie" emoticons in there to communicate that I was kidding - lol. It truly was said in jest as obviously you don't know what I, nor the OP, or anybody knows (and doesn't know), how could you know? How's that for a tongue twister!?