1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone ever use old forms for rocks?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by bigrick_2u, Feb 22, 2018.

1. I bought several junk foam fish forms at our state show last year and I think I'm going to cut them up and make some artificial rocks out of them. Anyone ever do that? Any advice for painting them? Cheers.

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

20160521_143422-1.jpg Oh yeah I make them a lot. Pretty easy all I do is carve them like i want them and them mix up some rock mix and smear all over set aside to dry . For painting i will use acrylic paint. Mix some black with water to make a wash . You want this to get into the low spots . Next you can use brown or grey to add some color . Take a damp towel and hit the high spots to highlight it . Just play around with it to see what works best for you . Hope this helps .
    Tommy

Audra, JL, woakley144 and 1 other person like this.

3. Looks great! Thanks so much.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I do as well - old deer forms that I can’t use make for great rock bases as either floor bases or wall mount bases. Pretty easy to do too.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I was low on old form foam I have poured foam into a garbage bag and put it into a box and closed the lid. Made a nice block of foam. I never had to do this much because I usually had left over form foam.

woakley144 and socalmountainman like this.
  6. Faisal Ayaz Arif

Faisal Ayaz Arif New Member

What type of rock mix are you using to cover the foam?