1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

State competitions with a customer mount.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jigginjim, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I wonder how many taxidermist have done this? Putting a little extra work into a customers work to enter it in a state competition? I have been doing my taxidermy as a part-time
    job until I can afford to really go into it full time. With less time for hunting and lack of luck on the deer. I'm left with using a customers mount to enter into these competitions, with the customers permission. But then being a full-time quality inspector for machine shops. I have the idea, if it's my mount, the guy across town or a former ex________, all the work should be close to the same. Started doing taxidermy 8yrs ago, reading, watching a learn, and practicing, to where I know I'm doing good. I have been to the minnesota deer classic measuring deer racks, and the stuff I have seen makes me want to cry.
    Last year, I enter my states competition for the first time, got a third place ribbon, granted some may complain. To me it's a starting point to really improve my work for my customs. This year I'm hoping to do more, get better, then raise prices according to what my work is.
    I maybe one of the lower priced guys in the area but I also want to customers to know they are getting really good work. Not sone backyard hack.
    Ideas welcome Jim

msestak likes this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There is nothing wrong, and everything right about entering a customers mount in competition. I've done it. The customer loved it, and even wanted the Blue Ribbon to display with the mount...but he didn't get it, LOL!

3. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Thanks I could a photo of the ribbon for my custom with the deer head.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Greatest advertising for you is to let the customer have the ribbon. He'll be forever bragging you up and the mount. Ribbons can be replaced by the competition officials if you have to have one.

5. What makes me laugh is the customer that brings something in and sees my ribbons then tells me that I can use his trophy if I mount it for free. (a buddy of theirs had another taxi do this). I then tell them that I would be happy to enter their trophy but I will not mount for free. I would also have to charge them all costs associated with the entry which would be around $500. They insist that since their trophy is so big it would score really well and would be great advertising for me. To which I explain that the size doesn't get scored. And yes it may be an impressive animal but as for advertising not so much.
    Also I can enter this animal without there consent so why would I mount for free? Now if this was a true top record animal I could see the advertising value and might work a deal on cost.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I was doing it the last 4-5 years of competing. Being part time and very busy, never had time to do a all out comp mount any more, just used a customer piece that was a pedestal mount or one the was a something different or special.

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I usually compete with customer mounts. It’s a great way to build business. Of the 18 deer I’ve brought to competition only 2 have been mine.

Justhunt87 likes this.
  8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

when i competed, one judge told me that any customer mount in your shop should be able to place a third in competition. that should be the standard that goes out the door on a daily basis.

jigginjim likes this.
  9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I'm looking more to being a second place type work for my customers. Though having been doing it that long. But hoping to crack the seal and go fill-time.

msestak likes this.
  10. msestak

charge accordingly. the more hours you have into a mount the less you make if your prices are not set high enough to justify the extra time.

as you know the more competitions you go to, the more seminars you attend the better you become. the better you are, the more clients you get. its hard. most clients wont be able to see the extra work you put in to make a better more life like mount, they just know it looks good.

best of luck.

11. Jim, I will be at the MN show. Let's get together!
    Bruce Norton

msestak likes this.
  12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    my last several pieces were customer mounts
    and they paid as such

CL

msestak likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I used customer mounts when I competed a few times, but did not tell the customer as if I didn't get a blue they might thing there was something wrong with the mount.

msestak likes this.
  14. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The only bad side for me would be all you have is a ribbon ,who can say what it was really for.

15. msestak

the score sheet and photos

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I like the hardware