1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leg to Leg Incision Bird Assembly

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Dark Man, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Following up on my last post,here is how I put birds together.....The first few pics are of the skin wet,followed by how It looks when I start wiring.I just give it a quick couple minutes with the shop vac to start IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG

2. Dark Man

To wire the wings i drill out the ulna and insert my wire.youre going to want to get a paper towel under it to catch the marrow.run it through a few times til its clean then proceed to secure the wire to the humorous.rebuild the areas where you removed the meat and tuck them away IMG_1366.PNG IMG_1367.PNG

3. Dark Man

IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG

4. Dark Man

Now on to the legs.wrap a good amount of thread where you glue the skin back to the foot.youre gonna want something forthe glue to adhere to.Ill take a tweezers and put it through the leg opening so my wite slides right through no problem.once the skin is positioned take a small dan of superglue gel on an insect pin and glue the backside of the leg.once its secure just work your way aroumd until you are done.once the glue dries invert the leg and rebuild your lost material IMG_1368.PNG IMG_1369.PNG IMG_1370.PNG IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1371.PNG

5. Dark Man

To wire the wings start the neck into the body.as soon as the wing wires are a few inches past the shoulder put a slight bend to them and start working them into the body.just go side to side a bit at a time while working the skin and wings down as well.once you are through make sure the skin isnt pinched and secure the wires. IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1372.PNG IMG_1335.JPG IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1342.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Dark Man

A little hard to see what im doing with the legs here but ill explain.once the wings are set ill dend the wire over in the leg and put the bird on its head.the skin will work up exposing your anchor point,i have holes pre drilled to accept the wire at a steep angle coming out the lower breast area.this takes a little patience as you have to slowly get the bend out of the wire,I recommend a pliers.this is the part where you're most likely to rip into the incision,just take your time. IMG_1373.PNG IMG_1374.PNG IMG_1375.PNG

7. Dark Man

Time to pin the tail and close the incision IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1351.JPG

8. Dark Man

To attach the support wire taxi the skin as forward as tou can and expose the side pocket.make a small cut and insert your wire,careful not to trap any feathers.at this point i pound through with a hammer,double it over and pound it in. IMG_1376.PNG IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1377.PNG IMG_1378.PNG

9. Dark Man

At this point i attatch the head, pin the flight webs,fill out the cheeks and start grooming.last pic is to show how clean the incision area is with very little grooming IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

3bears likes this.
  10. Dark Man

and thats pretty much it.now just get the fluffin and groomin,card the wimgs and your done.

-jason

11. Dark Man, I always dry before I mount up the bird, is there a advantage to drying after??

12. Dark Man

No not really.just the way I prefer to do it llittle easier to keep the feathers out of the way when you're glueing the legs and sewing the incision

stuffit44 likes this.
  13. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Thanks, Jason...
    Very nice of you to take the time and make the effort.
    Well done

14. Would like to see the finished mount when done drying. Good tutorial.

15. Dark Man

Sure thing jw soon as the cardings off ill get them on

Wildthings likes this.
  16. Bob75

Bob75 Member

This is great, thanks for taking the time to post this.

17. jevic035

jevic035 Member

dark man
    just wanted to say thank you for this post and your last one .... so Thank You Again for taking your time to taking of the photos and to putting all into written lesson

18. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Very good explanation and awesome photos.

Thank you!