1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pronghorn Measurements

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Chad Vivian, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Chad Vivian

Chad Vivian New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum and starting out in taxidermy. I'm working on my first antelope and took the eye to nose measurement (9") on the tanned cape and it is way bigger than any forms out there. I measured it like i would a deer. This is an az goat and the body was actually kind of small, so this seems strange. Anyone have any pointers for getting the correct size form for antelope?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I always take the eye to nose measurement from the animal before skinning. That being said, in the tanning process capes are sometimes elongated or overstretched one way or another. I would stretch the muzzle and face of the cape sideways to make sure the nose hasn’t been overstretched. Stretching the width will reduce the length. After stretching, check the measurement and go from there. 8” eye to nose is pretty common and there are plenty of forms with that measurement. If that still doesn’t bring the length down into the 8” range, and you’re confident your measurement is accurate, I would get an 8“ form and lengthen it 1/2” and taxi the skin down another 1/2” and it should fit fine. But again, I suspect the nose has been overstretched. IMO

3. Chad Vivian

Chad Vivian New Member

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, I never thought of stretching it sideways. I think I'll go with an 8" which should give me the appropriate neck size.

Mike Powell likes this.