1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thinning Woods & Water paints

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rough water, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rough water

rough water Member

For those of you who are using W&W paints, what are you using to thin them down? Im having a hard time getting detailed spots without the tip drying after every third dot. I have reduced the air pressure with no difference in dry time.

Thanks in advance!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't use them but, it sounds to me that you need a retarder, to slow the dry time down, not a thinner.

Cecil likes this.

3. rough water

rough water Member

Thanks 3bears I have added retarder and it didnt seem to help, so that is why I was thinking maybe it needed to be thinned?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use lacquers and I add both thinner and retarder when I need to spray any fine details, I also turn air down to about 15lbs or less. I also don't start spraying on the fish until I have my recipe good enough to spray at least a dozen or more spots without clogging. It takes different recipes depending on the day, so you have to experiment. I'm sorry I don't have any first hand knowledge of water based paints, hopefully someone who does can help you better than I can.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Best thing I think to thin W&W paint is water. But, I also add a little retarder.

Another tip that might help is if dropping your pressure is creating problems, depending on your air brush you can try actually increasing your PSI up there to 40 or 50 and try a medium tip and close the heck out of the tip. This causes mostly air to come out with some paint and it will also leave a soft edge too..

6. rough water

rough water Member

thanks. I will play around with it some more this weekend.

7. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I use a bunch of woods and water paints. What color are you trying to spray dots with? Sometimes that matters. Their detail white and detail black are top notch. However, I use the extender base to thin (recommended by Badger/them) and then add the retarder. You can get to where you can spray almost all day long with very little tip cleaning when doing spots, fin rays, etc. I wish I had a magic formula to give you but it really is just experience at some point in time. If you don't have any extender base, then flow enamel works the same way on water paints (a little tip I picked up at the world show) if you have an arts and crafts store near you. I hope this helps.

Sotired and stuffit44 like this.
  8. rough water

rough water Member

Thanks Cory.

stuffit44 and Cory like this.