1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flying Waterfowl Neck Positioning

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to try my hand at another duck, and this time I am going to attempt a flying position. I am trying to avoid an elongated neck apperance like I have gotten in the past and have been doing a good bit of research on the forums on how to achieve this. From what i gather, my error likely lies in not incorporating enough of an "S" shape into the position. My dilemma is trying to picture exactly how the neck looks in certain flying positions.

I searched through the forums and found some really good info, but the few infographs and pictures that were availlable illustrating correct positioning were taken down or removed by the user it seems. I took the body of the bird out of the freezer and let it thaw and fooled around with positioning the neck/head to try and get a better hand on what the neck actually does in a flying position, but I still would love some help if anyone would be so kind.

I am mounting a Red Breasted Merganser and am going to attempt the pose in the following photo. I can't remember where i pulled the photo from but the taxidermist did a beautiful job. I used Paint, and tried to roughly illustrate what/where i think the neck would be in this position. I am no good in paint, so i may be a little too far up or down, but I am mainly interested in the correct amount of "S" shape. Does this look too much or not enough for this pose ? I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks
    Chris merg flying neck shape.jpg

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The next time you skin a bird leave the neck attached to the body. Now you have a great reference tool. Play with it. Stretch it like flying, standing, preening...you get the idea. Same thing with head neck attachment. Cut the neck off at the body and pull the head/ neck out the front and see how it works.
    My take on your picture.... the neck will drop down much closer to the body and then straighten out towards the mid area. It’s a subtle s curve .

msnavely, bigrick_2u and Trapper2016 like this.

3. benp

benp New Member

I believe some issue too that I’ve seen with local taxidermist is they make the necks too long and don’t add material to the base of the neck to keep the skin from shrinking around it and making it look long and skinny.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  4. My opinion, when in doubt, go shorter on the neck... Some may disagree. With that being said, you should have the measurements from the original neck.

Your picture isn't far off, but I imagine the junction of the neck to the body will be slightly lower than the way you have it pictured, and like stated earlier, the curve starting closer to the body. You've got the right idea!

msnavely and Trapper2016 like this.
  5. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will certainly use them

Chris

6. The neck bone is a continuation of the back bone so should come off the body at the same angle and plane as said back bone.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

neck always center on fromt of body no matter pose this little tip will avoid confusion a lot of folks have with collar bone do your tracings with neck centered you will never be wrong too long or short

Trapper2016 likes this.