1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

which tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by flesher, Aug 4, 2007.

1. flesher

flesher New Member

im thinking about selling some capes next year,completly fleshed and tanned.which tan would go over best for the majority of the taxidermists?

2. jerrystaxidermyhunter

jerrystaxidermyhunter get stuffed at jerrys

i use lutan f and also mckenzie tan.

3. flesher

flesher New Member

that seems to be the same answer im getting from most,thanks

4. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

ez-100 will not come out when re-hydrating , lutan will make the water an opaque colour , washing out the lutan .

5. blacktail

blacktail New Member

I just tanned my first cape and used Liqua tan with there Safety pickle. Seemed to work well. And they say the Liqua tan will not wash out. Has anybody worked with these products before?

6. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

lutan is actually coming out of the skin , ez-100 will not , and ez-100 opens the fibers better and puffs the leather better then lutan.

7. EZ-100 is the way to go.

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I am in a similar predicament. I have a skunk that is fleshed, salted and I just rehydrated it and degreesed it in some kemsol-4 I believe. I would like to tan the thing versus use DP or something. I have never tanned anything, So to tan a skunk what would be the best way to go? I see a bunch of pint and quart kits in the catalog, I am leaning that way versus buying a gallon of something I might not use again. Hope someone can help me out..

Jesse

9. sent you a pm Jesse

10. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Thanks Darrel, I will take your advice

Jesse

11. John W.

John W. New Member

I use safety acid and liqua-tan the most,also use ez-100 and lutan-f.I don't know if the info. about the lutans right or not,Bruce Rittel said that lutan would last for a long time-I think it would take repeated rinsings to leach all the tan out but as far as I'm concerned,I never had a problem with it. ;D