1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First snake skeleton : python !

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Hello,
    Maybe some remember me talking about doing a ball python skeleton and not daring to start on it. It took some long time, including long period without working on it and taking dust but it's finally done, so I thought I had to show it here !
    There are some things I'd like different but the pose I choose was difficult for a first one I guess.

(figured out how to post pictures on the new forum thanks to Sea Wolf's post)

Python regius 51+.JPG Python regius 54++.JPG Python regius 66+ flickr.JPG Python regius 67+.JPG

Megan :) and 3bears like this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Your patience must be astounding to manage this so well. :)

3. Wouter

Wouter Member

Great skeleton! Did all bones come apart and if so, how did you keep all ribs in the right order?

Wouter

4. Thanks both ! Yes, it was fully macerated so everything was separated. After removing skin and guts, I cut it in 9 parts about 20 vertebrae long (247 vertebrae here but I underestimated them in first and last part when cutting so those 2 were too long and took more time to sort). To keep vertebra's order I put a string into the neural channel of each sections. For ribs order, sort right and left then sort by size comparing 2 by 2 and repeat till all are ordered in the section. All ribs had at least a tiny size difference and sometimes shape too, so I think I' must be right on the order or close to. If any doubt on whether increasing/decreasing, compare to the last and following set of ribs and the shape. All ribs are on wire to save some time when gluing except the first 20 or 30 one because they were too small to drill.

I was told an other way to do it by the preparator of the french museum of natural history and by Sebastien independently. They remove rib one by one and attach a string and a paper with its number and position on each. This way no need to think on the order but the amount of pre-work is huge, so not sure I would do this...
    Maybe your next none avian skeleton could be a squamate Wouter ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  5. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

Very nice work!