1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Roman 555 or Dynamite 111

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Smittee, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Smittee

Smittee Member

I read old posts about both and it seems the Roman can be used straight while the Dynamite needs to mixed with glue or caulking. I would just like opinions on which one is better or something else. Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

After using Pro-1 for many years, I decided to go back to Romans 555 to do this last deer, simply because I ran out of Pro-1 and didn't want to place an order for one gallon, so I went down to the store and picked up the 555. It saved a bunch of money.

It was a lot more running than pro-1 and more so than I remembered it being when I used it before. Other than that, I saw not much difference in performance between Pro-1 and Romans 555. I never used a single pin or any carding of any kind and had zero drumming, pulling or moving. You can't ask for more from your hide paste than that!

Why go through mixing and such when you can just open a container and get to it?

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use Romans brand paste from my local Sherwyn Williams. They think its kinda cool that they have a regular client that uses their product for taxidermy. I mix it with cheap powdered hide paste just to get a thicker comsistency that I like. (I don’t like using runny hide paste - most hide pastes I have bought are too runny for me and make a mess, or are too expensive). It works really well, doesn’t dry too fast, adheres and holds, and I have very little drumming. I do little carding or pinning - only when I have a hide that is stretched a little tight to begin with. That’s my experience, for what its worth.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i also like the roman 555. seems after I use it some with the lid off it does get a little thicker and is much easier to use than when new. I never had a problem with it at all.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I prefer the Dynamite 111 mixed with dry hide paste, but, that takes time. Romans 555 and the "new" DermaGrip appear to be identical.

6. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I purchase 555 from Sherwin Williams 5 gallon at a time. The sales clerk calls every so often to check my needs, so they can have a fresh bucket when I need it. Great product and fantastic service.

7. headstuffer84

headstuffer84 New Member

After using all different kinds of hide paste, I have decided Pro 555 is the best. I buy two gallons from Home Depot and get free shipping.

8. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

You should be buying it at Sherwin Williams for 16 per gallon, or 80 for 5 gallons something in that ball park.
    Everything at sherwin williams is better quality than home depot, or lowes.. paint , razor blades, etc

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Its $31.00 at my Sherwin Williams pre gallon

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

its like $49.00 a gal here.

11. Glenn M

Just open a business account with them, I just paid around 16.00 per gallon

12. swb

swb Member

I have a commercial account and was quoted $28 a gallon on a 5 gal pail in Wisconsin

13. Glenn M

I guess different stores different pricing

14. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

At some of these 555 prices, I don't know why you guys wouldn't just try AFG from Van Dykes. I know, I know, shipping will kill you. But time away from working is also time where $ isn't earned. If your shop rate is $50/hr and it take an hour round trip (it would for me) then I can get a 5 gallon bucket of AFG sent to me for less than $50. JMO.