1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fractured warthog tusks

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ESifford, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ESifford

ESifford New Member

I recently got a set of trophies (skulls, capes and backskins) back from Africa only to find that in order for them to be released stateside that they had to be high heat boiled at least twice if not three times. Unfortunately during this process several of the skulls fell apart. I was able to reassemble the skulls fairly easily what I have left are two lower warthog tusks. Whether they struggled pulling them or just the repeated boiling caused both of them to fracture. One has a spiral fracture about 2/3rds the length, the other has a straight fracture just over half the length. Since these fractures won’t reduce without the use of vise grips, I am considering filling the tusk with epoxy. Any suggestions?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have occasionally used dental resins with success. There is also a post on here done a few years ago on repairing teeth. It does involve actually finishing the crack to make a clean break and then repairing. You may not want to go with that option and maybe fill the cracks with dental resin that you have color matched. Try the Advanced Search for "Tooth Repair Tutorial" or at least "Tooth repair" and see if it comes up. The posters name is Wolfwoman.

The last company I bought dental resin from was this one. The product line seems to have changed but I'm sure there are others. If you are on good terms with your local dentist, don't rule them out either. https://www.monstermakers.com/tooth-and-gum-acrylic/

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i always fill my warthog tusks with resin. since they are so hollow the resin keeps them from splitting over the years. I have see warthogs I did 25 years ago that are still intact. I would fill them if I were you to keep them from getting worse.

4. ESifford

ESifford New Member

Thanks for the great advice! I was originally thinking resin but wasn’t sure where to start. Much appreciated!

5. ESifford

ESifford New Member

Heads Up for anyone trying to repair broken tusks, the tooth acrylic from monstermakers.com recommended by Sea Wolf is spot on! The advice I can add is mix a little of the tooth shade and the white lightener together to get a better color. Even more important than getting the color right is be prepared to work VERY quickly. It sets up fast. I let it cure overnight and it is rock hard.

6. Sea Wolf

Did you take any before and after pictures?

7. ESifford

ESifford New Member

Unfortunately I didn’t get any before pictures. I can get after pictures tonight.

8. Kayla

Kayla Member

Hi, I just searched for this quickly and didn't see what I was looking for. I was wondering if you've ever experienced it. I have a mountain lion skull that I cleaned. It was sitting in ammonia for far too long, but I just rinsed it finally and got it ready to glue teeth back in. That fangs are splitting, but the weird thing is they were seeping a redish liquid that looked like watery blood. Have you ever experienced this? I found it strange. I didn't think teeth would have blood in them like that... Just wondering what it might be or if it's normal. Thanks!

9. Sea Wolf

Sounds very odd. How was it cleaned? Teeth will crack with rapid changes in humidity. Can you possibly try clamping the teeth together and wrapping with plastic to slow the drying process? Not sure about a red liquid. Teeth of very young animals are hollow and fill in as they age and the roots solidify. Is there anything else that the skull was exposed to that could cause that color?

10. ESifford

ESifford New Member

You are right. It is most likely blood. Every tooth has a blood supply. If the head was fresh when you put it in the ammonia then the blood would come from the dentin. I would think that pretty normal. Good luck!