1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Northern pike finished

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jigginjim, Mar 8, 2018.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I tried to get things close to photos from customer and those I took.

Attached Files:

Sotired and Off the Hook like this.
  2. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I'm thinking of entering it in state show for review, I know i could do much more but on a customers fish I don't know that time to money is worth the effort. Interested in what others think?

Cecil and Kerby Ross like this.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

If you are entering in Professional or Master both sides should be finished. If entered in Commercial then they will judge it from a specific distance.

Either way, you will get good feedback.

:)

Kerby...

Cecil likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Overall green color is wrong. Also too heavy and opaque. My commercial work preference is a light coat of Lifetone transparent dark green with a base coat of irridescent gold before the green. Very light with the gold. I also don't paint the bean spots if I don't have too. Go back over the original bean spots with a q-tip and lacquer thinner to remove the overspray green to allow the original spots to show through. I even do this on repros. It's tuff to make painted bean spots look natural. It can be done but tuff to pull off.

I am not God's gift to taxidermy by any means, but here's a couple of northern I painted recently. Can you tell the color looks more natural as do the bean spots since they aren't painted?

I also use a bright yellow on the fins with less as you move anteriorly. This is followed by gill red. Again less as you move anteriorly. Same goes for the black markings on the fins.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Bill Dishman likes this.
  5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

BTW I commend you for entering your fish and being open to critique. Too many taxidermists have skipped this step to their own detriment. The awards will come later as you listen to constructive criticism and strive to do better. It will come!

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Eye set is not angled right and fins are haphazard. You'll get there!

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Cecil, Thanks, I have 4 different paint schedules for for pike, most seemed so dark. After looking at this fish for the past week. If it weren't for me breaking my darn wrist last week, I would strip and redo it, looking at getting different paint. I removed the head first to get inside cleaned out better and reduce scale damage, I didn't notice eye alignment till after it was dry I have been looking at trying to figure out the difference between life tone colors and and
    Polytranspar colors. 20151210_133630.jpg 20151210_133647.jpg 20151210_133630.jpg 20151210_133647.jpg 20151210_133630.jpg

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Keep at it! We all started somewhere!