1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stripping the paint from a skin mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by woakley144, Mar 8, 2018.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I think I screwed up......

I mount a couple of Hybrids and I thought they looked ok until I put the gloss on them. Now they are too dark. I used Water based paint with a Krylon glossy finish... is there a safe way to strip back to the scales without destroying the mount???
    Any and all ideas appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!!

2. I've used citristrip from Lowe's and it works alright. Just takes a lot to remove paint. I use laquer paint, may work better on water based. I tried the WASCO super stripper for the first time the other day and it works very well.

JUST FISH likes this.

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Lacquer thinner......

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks guys!

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I use Acetone to strip all fish that I need to strip. Put the Acetone in a drywall bucket and use a wide paintbrush to bring the Acetone up and on the fish. Wear rubber gloves and do this outside.Little known fact...let the Acetone sit for a couple of hours letting the paint settle to the bottom of the bucket. Now pour the Acetone into a container to be used again and again....it will still do the job.

hambone likes this.
  6. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I would just rough up with 4/0000 steel wool for paint adhesion. Go in and re-tip the entire fish with a silver/lighter base and then lightly spray a silver over this tipping. Since you have a dark base, this will let the silvers to "pop" and help bring out the colors of the fish. It's just how I would do it. Once you get to doing things this way, it makes the repaint and repair jobs easier, IMO.

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

how does acetone work with reproduction fins? Got fins from lake country.

8. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Before going to the trouble of stripping it I'd try doing a quick silver scale tipping on the scales ( in a small area) and come back over with some color and see if you can get the color you want. In 5 min of messing with it you'd know if you can improve what you have before stripping. If you decide to do the whole fish a silver sharpie will quickly highlight all the scales on the fish in a half hr or so. Leave a dark edge around the outside edge perhaps.
    If you are going to strip I wouldn't strip the fins. I'd tape them off to avoid getting solvent or stripper on them.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't strip fish anymore. Usually white out and seal.Then antique and paint like a reproduction.

Sotired and Bill Dishman like this.
  10. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I'm going to strip the northern, whiting it out got the spots too bright.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What white are you using? Different whites out there.

12. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Polytranspar bass belly white, I'm going to order new life tone colors from matuska. I can't get anything done with a screwed up left wrist for mounting. Trying to do some painting, that I can do right handed. Thinking I may start mixing more colors to create softer white shades for pike and other fish.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  13. JL

Seems to me Bass Belly White would work for the pike.

14. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    strip with Lacquer
    then white out
    CL

D.Price likes this.
  15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I just a lacquer appliance white in an aerosol can from Ace to white out fish.

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I too would also try lightening right over what you have via some quick silver pearl/etc scale tipping. There's a good chance you can salvage what you have (and sometimes improve!) with this method w/o all the work of stripping/repainting...

17. JL

You can use Acetone but I wouldn't let it sit too long.

FishArt likes this.
  18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

To elaborate on what JL said, IMO if you're brushing it on as he mentions I think your fins would be fine as acetone evaporates SO quickly. Personally, if I have to strip I usually use Lacquer Thinner unless it has trouble pulling paint off. Same advice though - brush on and don't let it sit soaking in LT. But, for old paint jobs sometimes the acetone comes out. If acetone doesn't get the paint off, not much else out there that's going to do it better/easier IMO. Just test it on areas first. I don't use acetone too often on stripping fish. I would think you might want to be careful around epoxies too? Probably same advice - to brush it on and don't let the acetone have contact with these areas too long? JL have you ever had any issues with acetone and reacting with any epoxies? I've always wondered and have avoided using acetone to strip fish in certain areas for the most part b/c I was uncertain.

19. JL

Never had a problem. Just don't let the fins soak in the Acetone...just wash the color off of them. Acetone evaporates fast so a wash will not damage the fins. Works for me.

FishArt likes this.