1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Rise and Fall of the Taxidermy.net

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by PA, Mar 9, 2018.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

The title of this post is more of a teaser and I don’t really contemplate the end of the Taxidermy.net, but in my opinion, it’s clout has fallen from the peak it had a few years ago. This site is still a go-to for all sorts of information, but social media has taken much of the uniqueness that this site once harbored.

I should perhaps explain that I have not abandoned the Taxidermy.net, I just question the audience that it now brings to the table. The people who are the current innovators in this renewal of the art, those under 40 and made up of many women, rarely post on this forum. It could be that having their own personal Twitter accounts, Facebook, Instagram, and blogs drive perspective clients to their businesses, and it makes more sense for them to focus on those self-promotion sites.

I should explain that while I am savvy in some computer programs maintaining large databases of detailed specimen data and taxonomic systematics, I am in many ways a luddite, or at least unskilled in how social media works. I do not own a cell phone and thus cannot have an Instagram account (it is very difficult to spoof that site as I understand). I had to open an account in order to access a friends account when it went private last year. I have seven followers but have never posted a picture even once – I have no idea what they are following. I also have a Facebook page on which I sometimes type info onto other people sites, but do not make any posts of my own. Seven years I have had it, but I don’t quite understand the system. I don’t have a Linked In site though people all over the world have wanted to connect to me via that method.

I do try to keep up on various innovative taxidermists and their journey in learning new techniques and visions of how taxidermy can be improved. I have perhaps 20 people who have various social accounts that I click on individually and see what they have posted. It is one of those postings which spawned this discussion regarding the Taxidermy.net.

A couple weeks ago Allis Markam, a taxidermist in California, ventured to the European Taxidermy Championships and entered a piece in competition – a Roadrunner holding a Cnemidophorus. She posted a picture of the piece and a few steps of her process in creating the piece using 3-D printing. Within 24hours, that particular post got close to 800 likes, and currently has 1619 heart shaped likes. I can only guess that only a fraction of people who look at a post would give it a “like”, so to this date, perhaps conservatively 4000-5000 people have looked at that particular Instagram post (I may be very wrong in that estimate – remember I don’t understand this stuff)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BffPUUnlavy/?taken-by=allis

A week ago, or so, on this Taxidermy.net site, DL made a post on 3-D printing with two images of Allis’s bird (scroll down to find it) and thus far it has only 143 views (and I know at least 5 of those views were mine). It would seem that the traffic to this site appears down, or else people don’t explore to see what is happening in different areas of the site. To be honest I haven’t figure out the new forum much and haven’t quite figured out the alerts or any of the other bells and whistles that Ken has added to update this site. I see comments where people feel they will abandon the site because of the updates, and others which say they will join and contribute more. I am one of those who aren’t familiar with great changes that have occurred and the font size which seems suited for cell phone or I-pad, nether of which I have ever operated.

I would imagine only a few people will read this, and perhaps a couple comment, but Allis received 75 comments on that one post.

I am not sure how to revive the Taxidermy.net. Some well-meaning people try to start thought provoking discussions which are demeaned or miss-interpreted. Sometimes the exchanges between taxidermists who both love this profession seem more like a political debate between a democrat and a republican where each looks for flaws in the statement and attack those flaws. Perhaps George is right, taxidermists don’t play well together.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

"Like"

crs likes this.

3. Facebook and several amateur taxidermy facebook pages. The ealry low experienced are answering questions with methods that we older taxidermist know are piss poor. Many have been thrown off those pages, but the inexperienced want some kind of answer and they want it now. Many years back some of us would tell them to check the archives here. There is all the questions answered here on this net. but its not good enough for the want it now generation.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It's not just Taxinet. Message boards as a whole are gradually being replaced by faster-paced forms of social media.

SteveM, woakley144 and Cecil like this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes, FB and other social media has been stomping traditional forums. And to add to what others have said, I would like to add my opinion on why I think we're seeing an abundance of females bursting onto the taxidermy scene. It may not be PC, but here goes! Years ago I think it was a disadvantage to be a female in this industry. Mainly due to ignorant potential customers. However, I think social media has helped even the playing field here AND in some cases I believe women have an advantage. Case in point I clicked on the link you provided (Stephen?) for Allis's Instagram page. I already had a pretty good idea that she was going to be young and pretty! AND, that is NOT to say she isn't talented. Not at all. All I'm saying is being a pretty young female these days combined with social media is an advantage to get lots of exposure quickly. Especially in a "quirky" industry like ours. And people are also interested in 3D printing and it's capabilities. People are curious. And people like to see a pretty face. Nothing against those that benefit - hey more power to 'em. But, I do think that's a big part of the reason why you're seeing so many under 40 f/m's entering the taxidermy scene. JMO!

fish stuffer, D.Price, George and 2 others like this.
  6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty your remind me of something. Not sure if I posted this before but here goes: Years ago I read about a good looking female that set up a taxidermy shop in one of the Western states. It was in one of the outdoor mags like Outdoor Life or Field & Stream, or Sports Afield. Anyway, guys from many miles away were dropping off their animals because she was a real looker. One day she disappeared with deposits and all.

FishArt likes this.
  7. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Cecil
    That was in Montana, correct ? If not then there was two of them that did that .

8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ms Markham at our California Association about 3 years ago. She was doing beautiful work with exotic birds then. She now serves on our Board and her work is spectacular. She really has an eye for bird anatomy. She is also very kind and gets along well with all of us outdoor types :)

allis, Chippers, Codi and 1 other person like this.
  9. FishArt

SoCal - I'm just making an observation and I wouldn't know because I'm kind've ugly, lol, but I would imagine it might be a double edged sword for some. Yeah, good looks might help one get their foot in the door, but then they have to get over that hump and that might be difficult. At least in our industry with competitions and the way they're run I would imagine the work stands on it's own. Like I said, I never said she didn't earn it. It's just something I noticed in our industry with the new "Rogue Taxidermy" movement in an industry once totally saturated with males, more females seem to be hopping in. Not a bad thing either!

Jkostella likes this.
  10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Well I'm not leaving....so there!

FishArt likes this.
  11. I think there was always as many girls doing taxidermy, you are just seeing them because of social media. I think there are a lot of girls using social media fishing and hunting just to get famous or popular for only that reason. I bet the girls that truly like to fish and hunt hate that.
    I doubt many girls are going to do taxidermy to get popular, but pick up a rod and reel, or gun and post all over social media to get the likes.
    This site reminds me of the big TV networks in the 70's or 80's ,now there so many TV networks the interest is spread thin. I think this site will always be here, it just has more competition now.

Chippers, BrookeSFD16 and Codi like this.
  12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

There are those of us who refuse to do facebook, instagram, etc. So for us, there is taxidermy.net. I do believe the traffic on here has slowed down. But whoever has the dashboard to this site can see how many hits there per day and overall, and are better able to answer that.

As far as there being more females doing taxidermy, yes, I think there is many more now days. I suspect that years ago it was considered "unwomanly" for the females to do this line of work keeping some who may have wanted to get into the field out of it. But times change. I also think some males have a problem with females infiltrating this art. They just need to deal with it because they are here to stay, like it or not!

Metalwolf likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Don't remember Richard. It's been so long ago. Probably though.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Read once that females in large taxidermy shops in Europe were the norm at least years ago. In the article I read the argument was that females tend to have better dexterity and attention to detail than the average male. Also more artistic. I believe I read this in a library book I checked out on taxidermy decades ago.

15. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

What does it matter if a taxidermist is male or female?

allis, crs, aussiesam and 8 others like this.
  16. FishArt

It doesn't. However, just looking at the numbers, even today the majority of the customers are typically male. And, many of those "old school" customers for some reason preferred males to do their work. Sounds sexist to say, but it certainly was true! The tides have changed as potential customers can now see everybody's work and Google for reviews. Most customers still can't tell the difference between a quality mount and 'an average mount". But, the playing field is much more level for everybody with the advent of the internet, social media and smart marketing. Word of mouth is still king (or queen!) ;) But, to establish ones self you need to be able to do all three well in today's taxidermy world. A good location certainly doesn't hurt either!

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It just a point of interest. Don't get excited. ;)

D.Price likes this.
  18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

One of my ancestors a taxidermist (last name was Walker) around a 100 years ago in Colorado.

[​IMG]

Mark V., woakley144, KatieC and 3 others like this.
  19. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Ha ha Funny how people read certain things into written words.

So here goes...you old coots got to get with the times. My younger customers .....younger than 55 do not have any problem with female taxidermists....I don't even think they think about it. Same way they don't think if their dentist is female. And the old ones....the ones that call on the phone .... after they talk to me for a bit see that I know what I am talking about. Great to see that pic of your ancestor! By the way I was just joking about "you old coots" I love hearing stories about history, Do you have any more info on that lady in the picture? She must have been a true pioneer.

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

First of all no problems with female taxidermists. :) After all I'm a raging liberal according to some on here. ;)

I'll have to ask my brother the family genealogist for more details. I do have her tools from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy which I will never use. I didn't know they went back that far but I guess they did.

Edit: Just found the date of origin the Northwestern School of Taxidermy - 1903.

Megan :) and woakley144 like this.