1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thawing Buffalo Hide for soft tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dwimberly, Mar 12, 2018.

1. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    I have a customer that called about getting a buffalo hide soft tanned. Being I am not a tannery I would have to send this off to my tannery. Typically I would thaw something like this out in a pickle bath before fleshing but I am not sure that is what I would need to do in this case. My tannery thought about maybe thawing it out in a brine solution with a bactericide i.e. Lysol? Any thoughts about how to thaw so that I could flesh and it wouldn't mess with the tannery's process either? I would be scared to let this thaw at room temp, I believe slippage would occur if done that way.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I thaw them out in a heavy brine solution. I have a clean garbage can for this. I fill half full with water, add a bag of salt, stir up, add hide, then add water if needed. Once thawed, I get help and hang it up and wash all the manure out of hair, rinse well. Let drip dry. Flesh as normal. I salt both sides of hide hang to dry, fold or roll it up before it is dried hard and box, send to tannery, A lot of work and expensive to ship, so charge accordingly. I use Moyle for those, FYI don't promise a quick turn around.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Don't get lysol anywhere near hides.