1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First skin mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Mudbat, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Active Member

C49E71AD-D49C-44AC-A906-66E3C50261C6.jpeg 4F2D4A01-A805-4B3C-A9FC-9BB3F273EA3F.jpeg 31922572-CFBE-4051-86BE-EA1F58E1AA3C.jpeg E04688D6-2673-4CC4-8376-BAA2E76858F9.jpeg be gentle on me guys. Goal is to one day even get good at them
    Brown got a modified McKenzie head, custom eyes, and the fins are from frank
    Walleye is a my first custom cast head and lcr fins, walleye eyes are a bit above my pay grade at the moment
    I carved both forms.
    Neither it glossed

rough water likes this.
  2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Kansas
    There's some talent there for sure! Clean looking work. Some of the nitpicking things are more along the competition line, and you should start entering at least state shows to start getting more defined critiques. It is hard to critique a pic, but IMO, your customers should be satisfied. Keep striving to get better, take criticism with an open mind, and watch your work improve in leaps and bounds.

Mudbat likes this.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Brown looks as good as any commercial work I've seen. I don't know of any customer that would't be happy with it. Nice job! Did you have some shrinkage issues where the skin meets the caudal fin? You can avoid that by making sure you remove as much bone as possible at the tail junction and using a bead of white clay there which you can keep an eye on while the skin dries to smooth it out with your fingers or pinch it down if you notice and unevenness.

Not crazy about your caudal and soft dorsal fin detail painting on the walleye. Not sure why you even had to add detail to those fins as usually the orginal markings are still there on my skin mounts. I just enhance them with color. I also don't like the vein pattern you put on the head. I have never seen that on the walleyes I do.

Just like Cory says I see talent there too. You just have to keep plugging away, reference, reference, reference, and get critiques. You can also just learn by observing the fish at state shows. It's amazing how you can train your eye to see things you didn't see before.

Mudbat likes this.
  4. Mudbat

Mudbat Active Member

Fins are replicas on both.