1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leaving a tanned hide sitting before mounting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by traceyinpa, Mar 14, 2018.

1. traceyinpa

traceyinpa New Member

Sometimes, life steps in and as good as my intentions are, I just can't get around to mounting a hide as quickly as I intended. So my question is:

AFTER the tanning process, how long do you think is ok to leave a hide resting (on a sheet or towel for instance) in a cool room before mounting? Hours? Days?

I have left a hide for a couple of days before and noticed the mouth area started to dry out, but I managed to rehydrate by putting a damp sponge in the mouth for a couple of hours before mounting. I know this is not ideal, but sometimes I just hate the idea of freezing a tanned hide and thawing again just a day or 2 later.

How long have you left your hides before and have you run into any problems? Should I just be biting the bullet and freezing them until I'm sure I can set aside enough time to mount them?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If it is a day or 2 pop it in the fridge, any more than that freeze it. It isn't worth the gamble, especially with customer capes or hides.

traceyinpa likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have left tanned capes in a fridge on the coldest setting ( where it actually forms Ice crystals on the hair) for up to five days.

I have heard that if you freeze a tanned cape, the freeze thaw process does something to help in the stretch of the cape.

traceyinpa likes this.
  4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I’ve gone for several days with the cape out, but I always bag it to keep it from drying out. Of course, that holds moisture in too, so I am careful to make sure the fur side is free of excess moisture to avoid slippage. I have a mule deer cape out right now that’s been out four days (bagged and in a fridge). I’ll mount it tomorrow.

traceyinpa likes this.
  5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I once left a Krowtanned cape in a bag in the fridge for 6 months and not a single issue believe it or not. Not that Id advocate doing that. A tanned cape might grow mold all over it if you did that. Im not sure though.

traceyinpa likes this.
  6. dbronco

dbronco Member

Does this mean the Krowtanned cape was not a "tanned cape"? :)

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That is what Im told. I am not a chemist so I take it as true.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There is no SET definition of what a "tan" entails, so don't get hung up on what you use. I simply don't play games with hides. No hide, whether it's denatured alcohol, DP, shop tanned with any of a multitude of products, or professionally tanned, sits out over one work day If I can't get to it or something happens to prevent me from mounting it, it gets bagged and put in the refrigerator. If that event proves long term, then it's back in the freezer. Would you slice a tomato or head of lettuce and let it set out for that long?

KatieC, Mike Powell and agua3777 like this.