1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallards suck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Mar 14, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Love my little Van Dyke bird flesher that's about 40 years old...never had an issue. The motor will stop if you apply too much pressure. There is a learning curve on wheeling a bird. If I think there is a chance a bird isn't fleshed properly, I insert a paper towel around the body prior to sewing up. Any lingering fat will bleed into the paper towel, rather than out of the skin and onto the plumage.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Hahaha...wait 'till you get a dozen woodcock to do.

3. spk1142

spk1142 Member

try sewing up the bird with the feathers inside of the body. Works great for me

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Try a sandpiper Miniature woodcock with a body as big around as the last joint of your little finger with skin loaded with fat.

5. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Here is something you can try. I do this with all my puddle duck and thin skin wood ducks. You need to try and not work a area to much, the heat from your hands and from your wheel will cause the skin to get warm and will cause the skin to tear. Once the skin starts to get warm I put the skin in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes then back to where you left off and start again. Try to not work a area to long. This should help, I have done mallards , teal and Wood duck with out any burns or tears. Good Luck

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dont even try to wheel mallard or wood duck around rear end wet feathers and use the "rolling pin" technique to remove all fat leaving just a thin membrane that will peel off or you can leave it on as it will be oil free

7. byrdman

oh and dont wet skin better to keep as dry as possible using borax to soak up oil also the "grit" of the borax helps cut fat membrane I use 3 times as much borax to skin and wheel a bird as I do in mounting one

8. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Hey Byrdman... could you expound on the "rolling pin" technique?

9. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

X2 lots of borax during skinning.also,dont ne afraid to sit down with a scissors and a brush on that skin.the more time you take now,the less time you use to groom

10. byrdman

similar to a what a muskrat fleshing machine does that are used by fur buyers you need a small roller hard rubber as used by laminators hard to explain but you roll kind of sideways taking a quarter inch at a time working oil out side

11. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

ahhh... thanks

12. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

The rolling pin or baseball bat method is when you get so frikin angry at all the holes you’ve created you place the skin on a hard surface and beat the livin crap out of it until all of you’re anger has subsided or you’re so tired you can no longer lift your pin or bat up. Drink something adult until you’ve forgotten about what you just did.

13. byrdman

well this was a serious thread at one time " kids"

14. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Oh I’m serious about beating the crap out of one.

15. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

I'll tell ya what I wonder. Alot of these nrwbys that are mounting ducks for 150 bucks, are they cleaning the birds good? Or are they mounting them with alot of fat left in?