1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye setting

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by E-Renny, Mar 19, 2018.

1. E-Renny

E-Renny New Member

How long before finishing and putting the skin on do you guys generally set your eyes? Do you do it couples days before so the clay is hard or do you prefer having the clay soft?

2. headstuffer84

headstuffer84 New Member

I set the eyes then immediately mount the head.

E-Renny likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

“I set the eyes then immediately mount the head.“
    X2

4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

X3 I think you need soft clay to get the eye looking the way you want it too befor it's dry

5. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I set them about an hour or two before I mount it so the clay is firm but softens back up by the time you are working on them.

socalmountainman likes this.
  6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

After a few days, clay will shrink, crack and probably fall apart along with your glass eye when it hits the floor.

7. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

I always used critter clay, since it didn't shrink as much as potters clay on my eye sets. I was running low on critter clay and saw on here where someone had used Crayola air dried clay from Wally World. I picked up a tub of it, around $6 for 2.5lb. It shrinks less than critter clay in my opinion. I set some eyes before knowing I wouldn't get to mount in that day and come back two days later, it was dry with almost zero cracks. Now I will set the eyes on my forms, bag the head with a small wet rag and not worry about the eye popping off the form if the clay dries too much before mounting.