1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.


Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s7ducks, Mar 19, 2018.

  1. s7ducks

    s7ducks Member

    Is a federal license needed to too mount a fully licensed, registered, papered Bald Eagle head for free? I have a Native American elder medicine man that needs a Bald Eagle head mounted on a staff for rituals. I want to do the work for him for nothing, no money, no trade nothing. He has all the required paperwork to go with the Eagle head.
  2. Mike Powell

    Mike Powell Well-Known Member

    There is no federal “taxidermy” license, there s a federal migratory bird license required if you are going to be working with birds such as geese, ducks, etc, but that permit gives you the legal authority to possess more than the normal bag limit. I would make absolutely sure you have all the paperwork in order. I suggest verifying it with your local game warden or state game dept.
    George and Chippers like this.

  3. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    Mike nailed it. We can't over-emphasize the need for YOU to have the proper paperwork while you're working on it. The Native MUST have documents before presenting the head to you and YOU must keep them as long as you have the eagle. Just a note. If the bird loses feathers, you collect them and keep them in a ziplock bag. They, too, are illegal to possess and must be returned to the lawful owner with the mount.
  4. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    I have a friend who does these. He removes the eagles head and feet when they are bought in. The remaining carcass he give's back to the Native American to dispose of on the reservation. The feet are mounted on separate poles for ceremonial use.