1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Restoration help, explanation, and video if possible!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by PK Taxidermy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PK Taxidermy

PK Taxidermy New Member

Hi guys, Ive been interested into getting into restoring old trophies. Now I dont have a problem with the basics but I saw a picture from one taxidermist, and Ive been thinking about how he did this. Picture at the bottom. Can someone explain? Did he somehow rehydrate the skin, open it up, and set it on a new manikin? Or are there some videos or how to restore old mounts?

Attached Files:

2. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

That requires a new cape and a new mannikin. It's a remount.

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

comparison.jpg

Chippers and JL like this.
  4. PK Taxidermy

PK Taxidermy New Member

So is the only thing from the old mount used are the horns or antlers?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    In my shop, if I can't drastically improve the appearance, of most restorations, just with a little apoxy sculpt, paint and regrooming of the hair, another words just "touching them up",
    they get a replacement cape, which the customer pays for. I say most because some are not willing to replace the cape, because of sentimental reasons typically. For "touch ups" I charge by the hour with a minimum.

Mike Powell likes this.
  6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Yep, if the mount is really bad, I take the antlers off and the rest goes in the trash. New mannikin, new cape, new everything else. You can't do much with that old stuff that's not well mounted to begin with. Sometimes you might be able to reuse the form or eyes, but I'd rather start fresh with quality materials.

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I always remount with new materials. If the customer refuses to go with the new materials I don't do the job.Remember...the customer will never tell anyone how bad it looked before you repaired it and your name goes on a half-aced mount. When someone asks who mounted the animal your name will be the only one given and that impression will stick in his mind forever. And there goes a new customer and his friends.

Chippers likes this.