1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry preserving a bat.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by nitsukiaoi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. nitsukiaoi

nitsukiaoi Judge me however you want

Hi Guys.

Just needing some tips and tricks on how to dry preserve a bat. A friend came to me with a small fruit bat and wants to have it preserved, I normally do the wet specimen way and haven't learned how to dry preserve small animals.

We are going for either a framed or a resin form. Would love some help with this.

2. You can fix in formaldhye and then pose and let air dry, though you will get some shrinkage. Also be sure if you do this it is in a well vented area away from where you work. I am hoping this bat was not caught or found in the wild. All bat species in TX are federally protected and cannot be in possesion (this includes parts also). So if this was caught/found dispose of immediately.

3. nitsukiaoi

nitsukiaoi Judge me however you want

Thank you. That is good to know. Will let friend know.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stay away for the formaldehyde. That stuff is just bad. Inhaling fumes is bad enough, but it will permeate YOUR SKIN just as quickly as it will the animals. Us old guys used to use denatured alcohol as well, but it's got some bad juju as well.

Skin your bat as you would any other mammal and just powder it down with dry preservative all over. You MUST mount it immediately as the skin will shrink quickly.