1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of paint to use on a deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

I was wondering what kind of paint everyone uses on there deer. Water base or laquar and what are the pros and cons to both? I have only used water base but I get some splotchy places out of it. I'm trying to rule out paint or the gun. I have heard the water base drys quickly which could be the reason the gun is cloging up. I really don't know I'm using a $20 harbor freight gun which I have read and talked to good Taxidermist that really like them. Any advice is appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use lacquers. I have never tried water based so I can't compare but, I'm guessing that you can add thinner and or a retarder to your water based paints.

Dwb5 likes this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I've used both. The shop i work at now uses lacquer, but I did work at a large studio that used all water based (for health reasons) whose main painter was extremely talented.

Properly thinned paint is key. I can't speak of your particular airbrush, but I use paasche, single and double action.

Dwb5 likes this.
  4. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Ok thanks. Ill try to thin it down some and see if that helps

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I use lacquer with a harbor freight air brush. 20psi and paint thinned way down. I also have a Passache H1 and an Omni 2000.
    I do use some water based on turkey legs. I have more issues keeping the needle clean with water base

Dwb5 likes this.
  6. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Ok thanks. I saw in another thread that you use the same airbrush as I do. I have problems with keeping it clean with the water base. Ill try the lacquer and thin it down. How much thinner to paint do you do?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use water based paint. I was getting clogged all the time until I started thinning it with alcohol. No clogging and faster drying once it is applied.

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I used Lacquer paints with an airbrush in the past, but switched back to using Artist's oils and Artist's brushes. There's more control, and better blending. After all is dried - usually overnight, at the most two days - I touch up and further blend any places that may need it using Pan Pastels. These give the restored color of the mount a final soft appearance. Lightly seal all with a matte Acrylic spray. Gloss is applied to the nose pad, front bottom lip, nostril interiors, and lower eyelids with Hydro-Mist gloss topcoat, applied with an Artist's brushes. Done and done. ;)

Mbalmr likes this.