1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Learn to paint from Jimmy Lawrence

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cole, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3524.JPG I've been working on a project that will be a much needed series on taxidermy. This series will cover a wide variety of taxidermy instructional DVDs. The first of these has just been released, and is called "Painting a Largemouth Bass with Jimmy Lawrence. If anyone is interested in purchasing this video please call me at 816-724-0271. Cost is $35 shipped anywhere in the cont. US.

2. Got mine at the Iowa Show,very happy with my DVD,can not wait to get painting

Jimmy Lawrence likes this.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Will make a call tomorrow. Been doing this for 35 years but always up to learn something new. And Jimmy's bass paint jobs are some of the best out there! Jimmy rocks!

BTW Cole some damn nice looking painting on your website too!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Sotired, Jimmy Lawrence and Cole like this.
  4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Haha, thanks Cecil. I'm sure I'll have a painting video or 2 before it's over, but I'd like to get Jimmy to do a couple more first. Next up is turkey mounting though. We begin filming in about a week.

5. Gary R

Gary R Member

Turkey's? WE NEED MOLDING :)

rogerswildlife likes this.
  6. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I'm with Gary ! Lol all kidding aside I'll call you and get one too. Like Cecil said can't never learn to much .
    Tommy

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Haha, that one is coming too. I promise.

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

It's very to the point and straight forward. It's a fish painting DVD without any b.s. in between . Pretty easy to follow and grasp I feel. Hopefully everyone who purchases one enjoys it. I sure enjoyed making it.

Multispeciestamer, duxdog and Cecil like this.
  9. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new venture Jimmy

Jimmy Lawrence and Cecil like this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just started watching the DVD yesterday and so far it's very professionally done and Jimmy is very detailed. I will also have to build the painting cradle that Jimmy uses in the video. Never thought of one of those!

I've won blues and Lifetone awards for fish painting but it never hurts to see someone else's take on painting a species. I always come away learning something else I can use.

Folks it's well worth the $35.00!

Cole, Jimmy Lawrence and Kerby Ross like this.
  11. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Received mine and watched it right away. Enjoyed it and it is very well done. Jimmy does a fine job in both explaining and painting. Nice DVD at any price. I personally love seeing how different everyone paints. Don Frank and I were just talking about that the other day. Different paints and techniques and still good end results. Thanks

Cole, Jimmy Lawrence and Cecil like this.
  12. I know starting out Videos were key, I would really like to see some good quality videos of skin mounted Walleyes, Largemouths, Smallmouths and Lake Trout. In the Lake George Region everyone wants one of those and I haven't seen too many videos that didn't look of very good quality except the Rick Krane Large mouth Skin Mount. Please direct me to any if possible.

13. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I've not seen Jimmys video yet; but knowing him it's most likely a reproduction he used in the video. In any case. If you are working with skin mounts, either white them out and paint like a reproduction, or get them to what most people refer to as the antiqued stage. There is inevitably a stage on the video where you can match your skin mount to the tone of the reproduction and vice versa; and then its just following the steps from there until you develop your own methods.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

More and more I'm whiting out skin mounts, sealing them, antiquing them and then painting them like a reproduction to give me more control. This is especially with the bass that dry extremely dark.

stuffit44 and Cory like this.