1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Honker Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DL, Mar 30, 2018.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I don’t get many of these in. The few that I usually get in are those non migrating half tame birds. They are super fat and the skin is really thin like a fat mallard. I got a wild bird in that has thick tough skin.
    Is this typical of wild birds or do they vary? These golf course birds here are a pain to flesh. I have to be careful how I pick them up because the weight of the skin and wings is enough to tear the skin if not cradled when handling it. This wild bird I could have picked it up by a leg and swung it around.

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    In my minimal experience the 3 Canadas, 2 cacklers, and other geese have been very tough skinned only place I had to back off on the wheel was around the vent and neck. Everywhere else you would have to really try to burn through or make holes or tears. Most had a good layer of fat too.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

They are flying lardballs. Most have relatively tough skin...if you ever get down to it through the waves of fat.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

remove the wings first thing you do before skinning or during skinning

5. Interesting Byrdman, just thinking that would make it easier to flesh, but what other advantage would you have??