1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raw wolf head acquisition

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Simond, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Simond

Simond New Member

Nd
    I’d love to get my hands on one but am unsure how to do so considering the red tape and constantly changing legal status. Any advice?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Not sure who told you there was "red tape and constantly changing legal status". No such thing. Go buy one. You don't say anything about yourself under your ID so maybe you are not in the USA. Probably then would be different.

3. Simond

Simond New Member

Nd
    I live in Nd and work in Mn, both of which list wolves as protected. I can’t buy black bear parts in Nd and was going under the assumption that wolves are illegal to possess as well but I couldn’t find anything that mentions them specifically.

4. Sea Wolf

Rather than hearsay, go find your local Fish and Wildlife officer and talk to them directly. Local population wolves might be protected but you might be able to buy from any one of the Alaskan trappers on here as long as you have proof that the head came from Alaska. If you live in ND then worry about that. Where you work probably is immaterial as you aren't going to have a raw wolf head shipped there. ND has no known breeding population according to your own F&G site. Your best bet is to personally talk to an officer if your printed laws are not plain. ND considers wolves and wolf hybrids to be a type of regulated livestock as pets.

5. Muncher

Muncher Member

A colleague of mine went to Alaska for a holiday in 2016, and brought me back this beauty. It had been killed by one of the locals, and defleshed but that was all. It was pretty smelly when it got back, and the guy was lucky not to have been stopped by customs at the airport - especially as he brought me back five other skulls!.
    The wolf came up a treat, and now has pride of place in my display cabinet.
    Wolf Skull.jpg

6. Sea Wolf

Lucky shot there if you got that skull into the UK without going through Customs. Yes, there would have been an issue there and you probably would have lost all of them. Came out very nice too. Shipping a cleaned (and non smelly) skull is one thing but Customs will complain about stuff that still has flesh on it. Especially as some diseases can be spread that way. Here are a few of the wolf skulls I have. I have too many really but I find their differences really interesting.

[​IMG]

7. I’ve got a raw wolf skull for $75 plus shipping if you find out it’s okay. I’m in Alaska. Text me if interested 907-803-3483.

8. Simond

Simond New Member

Nd
    Great skulls you have there. I spoke with a fish and wildlife agent who told me I need need a cites tag if it is to be shipped by ground

9. Sea Wolf

Ok, different. Did they specify that it needs a CITES tag from Alaska? I seem to assume so. That would mean that a trapper/hunter in AK would have to have it tagged before it was sent. Seems like something special to request as wolves in AK are not tagged. Even hides I have bought from there are not tagged. Bears are though. Perhaps you can ask a trapper to have a head tagged by an officer in AK and then send it. A written bill of sale with the matching number on it would also be good.

10. RBlack

RBlack Member

Thats interesting.........

11. Y

12. I can probably set you up with a guy this winter for wolf skulls .

13. Sea Wolf

Let him also know to be educated on laws regarding shipping to states where they might be considered illegal and which states he can or can not ship to without incurring the wrath of the Feds.