1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First standing duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Garrett906, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Garrett906

Garrett906 New Member

This is my first standing duck, I just finished it up so it's still workable. I'm looking for any critique anyone has to offer. To me it looks like the legs are set too far back, however I used a Joe ferebee form that has the leg bone connection point labeled so they are set in these points. Perhaps I have the neck protruding too far forward before it curves back?
    Thanks in advance,
    Garrett 20180402_193406.jpg 20180402_193406.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Garrett906

Garrett906 New Member

20180402_193543.jpg

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The legs are angled too far back at the connection point and they are bent too much at the heel joint. You have him sitting more like a perching bird. The body should also be a lot more level to the ground. Rule of thumb: The center of gravity should be under the shoulder joint, or the highest point of the scapular feathers.
    He's really not bad, and the changes I mentioned could all be done in less than a minute.
    To get really picky, try to gather the skin on the back of his lower neck (the brown feathered area) and "pinch" it together in order to make those feathers form a small wedge-shaped pattern. That will also make his chestnut breast feathers come up higher.

https://goo.gl/images/qxp6VV

magicmick likes this.
  4. Garrett906

Garrett906 New Member

Thank you, I will work on those legs now!

Her_BirdArt likes this.
  5. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

I think you did a heck of a job for your first bird Garrett. I am just a hobbyist, but that bird looks better than alot of stuff i see go out of shops in my area. Alot better actually. I wish my first looked like that. Sadly it more resembled a prop from a horror movie. Heck mine still do.

Anyway you might want to check out Shane Smith's new bird forms. I have been using them and they are really nice. Most all modifications that are neeed for most forms are done already with his bodies, and his system of getting the legs in the proper position makes things very simple. Ill include a link that shows his new bodies and how to use them. They are meant to highlight the bird bodies, but they actually are dag on near full length instructional videos from a pro.

Have a good one
    Chris

https://www.taxidermy.net/ken/?p=1407

6. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Very good for a first. Looks like the eyes are set too deep in the head. You should see the bird looking at you when viewing straight on. Maybe you can but from the photos I couldn't see the eyes from straight on. Keep up the good work!

7. Garrett906

Garrett906 New Member

Thank you for the comments and advice everyone. Chris I will look into his forms for my next bird.