1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pheasant habitat base

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Apr 4, 2018.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello everyone. I was needing some advice here. I dont do many birds often, but I've been working on some pheasants. I'm mainly needing suggestions here on the base, I'm wanting to do a simple round walnut base, but I'm not sure what types of grasses would accommodate a Pheasant. I see a variety of grasses and habitat materials on Mckenzie, but I'm not familiar with pheasants actual habitat. I dont want to put a grass or wood that would not be commonly linked to a Pheasants actual habitat . Any suggestions? Really appreciate it!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use broom sedge that I collect in the spring after it has dried naturally all winter. Clip off all but a few inches of the stem, bundle 4 or 5 pieces together, and wrap tightly with electric tape. Clip the tape off even, leaving just enough to hold the bundle together. Then, drill a 3/8 hole in your base, put a dab of hot glue in the hole, and insert the small bundle of grass. Repeat this process randomly over you base. There are a myriad of naturally dried plants out there to choose from. I also use artificial fall foliage leaves to accent the habitat. Habitats are fun to build, and the ingredients are usually close at hand, once you learn what to look for.

3bears and BrookeSFD16 like this.