1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recent Articulations

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Muncher, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Muncher

Muncher Member

I've not been on the forum for a good while, but that's not to say I haven't been busy:

This is a red fox that I've just finished, which a colleagues wife spotted on the roadside: Fox1.jpg
    I chose a seated position so he would fit into my display cabinet.

Before that a sizeable rat had been giving me problems in the garden. I put down poison for him, and he conveniently died sprawled out in the middle of the lawn:

Rat 1.jpg Rat 2.jpg
    and last winter I completed a European Badger which was hit by a car down our lane. I dont think I posted this one:

Badger 3.jpg

I have a work in progress of an ostrich, the skull of which is complete:
    Ostrich Skull.jpg
    The leg bones seem to be taking forever to degrease - 8 months so far!

landdepot likes this.
  2. Muncher

Muncher Member

And I should say the forum seems easier to post pictures than before. Last time the restrictions on size and number of pictures to be posted was a real pain. I like it!

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I always used an outside hosting site for pictures and never had an issue with nice big pictures. (until Photobucket blackmailed everyone ... I now use postimage.org) A new addition on here is that you can make a photo album and put pictures in it to use on the forums. Others can look at the albums too.

Very nice job on all of those. Especially the fox. Here you can get skinned fox carcasses for free but the claws are always gone with the skin. Nice to have the proper claws with it. Looks good.

4. Wouter

Wouter Member

Great skeletons, well done! what did you use to rebuild the rib cartilage, especially in the rat?

Wouter

5. Muncher

Muncher Member

Thanks Wouter & Seawolf.
    I used thin steel wire for the rat rib cartilage, which was easy. Just glued it together and painted it with white acryllic paint. For the fox and badger I used thicker galvanised steel wire which acted as a core for epoxy putty (Milliput). There was a lot of sanding involved. On the fox I initially made the wire frame with aluminium wire but decided that was too bendy to keep its shape when applying the putty round it, so copied each piece with steel. Each rib was made individually - one a day, so it took a long time.

6. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

Wow great work, looks very rewarding and a real conversation piece when having company.