1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Snake advice

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SpanishGirl, Apr 7, 2018.

1. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Hi guys, last week I made a terrible mistake: I preserved a snake in alcohol to wait for beetles. Now I know alcohol is toxic, I thought it just dry it and when I take it out and soak with water it will be eatable again, but not...
    The fact is that is 50cm long and macerating will be a headache.

So, any advice?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Find a new snake? You can try and soak the snake for a couple of days in changes of water with the last water having some ammonia added to it (if you have any). Try letting it dry some and see if the bugs will eat it. If not, probably not much you can do. If it was denatured alcohol, they might reject it. If you try again, you might want to try some high proof vodka instead or just freeze it.

3. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    It is 70% wound alcohol, the problem is that I am not allowed to put any "dead thing" into the freezer, and vodka? Drinking vodka can preserve any specimen til beetles?
    I have 1'75% diluted ammonia to degrease, does it work?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Find a vodka with the highest "proof" that you can. Spirytus vodka from Poland is very high proof (192 proof / 96% alcohol). I do not know what these are priced at where you are or if they are even sold there. Another option would be to remove as much flesh as possible and pack it in a lot of salt until dry. The problem will be keeping it dry until you need it. The salt will also attract moisture back to the specimen. To feed to the beetles you would soak it for a while to remove the salt

5. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Yeah, I skined and fleshing her as much I could, but the body is in alcohol... Will try my best and see how this ends.
    Thank u so much SeaWolf!!