1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rainbow trout painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JimsTaxidermy, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JimsTaxidermy

JimsTaxidermy New Member

Hey there everyone I was wondering if I could get a good paint schedule from someone on how they paint out rainbow trout fast comersal style, I see Cecil give advice sometimes to people on his ways of bluegill and was thinking I don't see any on rainbow trout on here and have seen were people ask in the past also, I know use your reference and all that but sometimes we all learn in a different way with a little help so please some one come out the wood work lol thanks

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

JimsTaxidermy likes this.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

XX2 Cecil.

4. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

He did say paint one fast and commercial style. I don't think Rick's videos fit in either category.

Cecil and JimsTaxidermy like this.
  5. JimsTaxidermy

JimsTaxidermy New Member

Thanks Cecil And JL I have seen a lot of ricks work and what a amazing job but I'm still on the old airbrush and little bit scale tipping here and there, haven't got up the nerve yet to try the powders and do a whole fish like a lot of you guys so was just wondering how some of y'all guys get them painted out and out the door so fast, I was wondering if there was a schedule around or tips on helping me get better at moving fish out to keep the funds rolling in like fast Comersal style painting but still look nice, iv seen some of y'all that teach classes and help out make up a paint schedule for students and thought maybe I could get some better ways or learn whole different way to paint them I get a lot of Virginia stocked trout and most of the guys up here are not doing fish anymore and I'm trying to make my way in the business but thanks to everyone I'm open for any thing here to learn and thanks Just fish

Cecil and JUST FISH like this.
  6. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

There are some fish painting videos in Wascos catalog by Bill Leach that are pretty straight forward with just airbrush and finger rub scale tipping, this might be what your looking for.

7. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I believe the of Breakthrough Fish Painting Encyclopedia is still in print. This also may be what you are looking for. As you keep completing fish and getting better, always strive to take the next one another step forward; both your customers and yourself will benefit from doing this. JMO

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Many of the "commercial grade" techniques aren't taught in the videos from what I understand. It all depends on what you consider "commercial grade" though. Starting out I wouldn't worry about speed. Focus on quality. Speed will come as will the higher rates (eventually) for the quality. If you focus on speed now you'll probably sacrifice quality. You have to build your name and you do not want to build it on "get it out the door" work. Just look at this way. Most any job you're not fast or even productive starting out. Pay your dues and put in the time and it will pay off in the end. You're learning. Hambone is on the right track IMO. Finger rubs/painting play a big part in my commercial mounts. That Steelhead in the other thread, I wouldn't even waste my time hand tipping those tiny scales when broad sprayed coverage with the right powders or a finger rub can do just as nearly as good - maybe a better job (than hand tipping) depending on how steady your hand is. And at 1/64th the amount of the time spent! In fact, I don't even see the distinct scales in the photo of that live fish that even warrant hand scale tipping on that fish! There's very little to no scale definition in that summer great lakes Steelie! JMO and my way of doing things. Many different ways to skin a cat. But figuring out ways to come close to replicating that cat in a reasonable timeframe is really the trick. And that will come with practice and in time...

9. Multispeciestamer

Multispeciestamer Active Member

Think part of that reply was directed at my thread, thanks fishart.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I learned to paint initially on some videos put out by Dan Chase and you can pick up some good stuff from them. I believe the former Jim Hall had a decent commercial grade videos on rainbows.

Keep in mind this was in the 80's when I first started doing taxidermy.

FishArt and JimsTaxidermy like this.
  11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes it was - no problem. I figured you'd catch it over here (for what it's worth) and save me the time to post again - lol.

12. JimsTaxidermy

JimsTaxidermy New Member

Hey there guys just wanted to say thanks to everyone of y'all for replying back and telling me advice and helping me out,I am going to check some more videos out and keep learning thanks again.

13. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

Also try doing a search on the internet, I found a few just by searching rainbow trout paint schedule.

14. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

With some cans of spray paint you too can turn out a 'quality' commercial product like this! But why? s-l1600.jpg

B.Blake2 and FishArt like this.
  15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Does that come with the Big Mouth Billy Bass? :p

[​IMG]

Sotired and FishArt like this.
  16. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    OK here goes , again trying to take a short cut . I'm actually going to give you one !! We all know rainbows are green on top, yellowish ( or silver, depending ) on the sides. and white on the belly. put on some spots (dots) and gloss Can't get much easier. Make it look like a water mellon That's my answer to a quick commercial rainbow. If you want to get better ,take some pics of some of those trout you say you have there and try to duplicate that by any means possible using all of the tool at your disposal. If I've learned anything from my time in this business, it would be too use reference and learn how to interpret it. If you take the time to do this ,then you will come up w/ a pattern of applying these colors and thereby speed things up. Repetition. Don't try to run before you crawl. Sometimes it takes longer to learn things correctly but w/ repetition ,it gets faster and easier but ultimately keep learning . Learn how to ask the right questions and don't look for shortcuts . Get a good dvd (One of Rick Kranes. ) would be a good place to start. Use his information and just repeat. My commercial fish have improved greatly using his dvd's. Adjust it to suit your style and each time it will go faster till your at commercial speed . JMHO Good luck on your journey , Jonathan

B.Blake2 and FishArt like this.