1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyway to soften epoxy sculpt ?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by saddlehorse_98, Apr 8, 2018.

1. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I no you can use water to help smooth it as you apply it but I see video's like rick carter A to Z applying the epoxie sculpt and it looks like it's really soft like butter almost? am I seeing things or can it be made to soften that much. ? thanks

2. JimsTaxidermy

JimsTaxidermy New Member

Yes I add a little alcohol in with mine as I go along makes it lay on there like butter and can get that nice smooth even layer. Do it all the time no problems

Lance.G and woakley144 like this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You can first heat up the two parts a bit in the microwave before mixing to ease mixing. Careful, it can get very hot so go easy and don't burn yourself. 10 seconds or so should do it. Then, you can add a bit of Safety Solvent or water to it when mixing the two parts to make it soft and pliable. Also, don't quote me on this, but I believe others have mixed the Apoxie Sculpt and the Apoxie Paste to get something somewhere in the middle. I don't find the Apoxie Sculpt as easy (as the Apoxie Paste) to feather out whatever you mix with it. However, the paste has it's limitations as you cannot put it on too thick or it can sag. Personally, I usually like working with Apoxie Sculpt and if I need to feather it out more I just wait til it totally dries and lightly sand it at it's edges. Just my preference because I find the paste more difficult to sand and it can get messy and tough to work with in certain areas (like the gill lay down area where it can get messy in the gills if you're not careful). It has it's applications too though and you should have both at your disposal IMO...

George, JimsTaxidermy and woakley144 like this.
  4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Knead your two parts together under the sink with a very warm stream of water. It softens it easily and makes it much easier to smooth. As Marty states, heating it in the microwave will work but it also kicks it off much faster. You can use that to your advantage if you have a repair that you are needing to paint asap as the epoxy will harden faster. You just have to work in smaller batches to allow for the faster setting time. The only time I heat it in the microwave anymore is when speed curing is required.
    You can also mix about 20-30% magic smooth to 70-80% apoxie sculpt to make an epoxy that is somewhere the viscosity of the two individually. Mix up the magic smooth, mix up the apoxie sculpt then blend the two together. This product feathers really nice and much easier than epoxie sculpt by itself. The cure time will be longer when you make this mix. Allow overnight to cure.
    You can also add acrylic paint or dry tempera or mortar dye to modify the color.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's some good info to know FM, the mixing of the two epoxy types and ratios together - thanks... Just to be clear with the microwave deal. Yes, it will kick much faster if you mix them first then microwave. Or if you heat it too much. I usually just go ten seconds or so to loosen things up a bit with each part unmixed yet (my workshop it gets pretty hard sitting in a semi-cold environment.) I notice it kicks a little faster when you heat and then mix the two parts together. But, not a big difference from not heating at all. Still plenty of work time. I like to mix "two worms" and twist them three times before kneading to ensure they're totally mixed btw. Lastly, with Apoxie Sculpt whether a fast or slow, normal set-up you can paint over once it's no longer wet on the outside from your water (or whatever) used to smooth it out. I have literally painted over soft Apoxie Sculpt numerous times 5-10 minutes after I put it down with no ill-effects. I believe it says it's fine to do so somewhere on the label. Was leery the first time I tried it (due to possible shrinkage). But, apparently it doesn't shrink at all. A good product...

woakley144 likes this.
  6. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

thanks guys lots of good info I will try all of them. again thanks

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have some that was really firm almost hard, add a small sponge wet with water, placed in microwave for 20 seconds. How its nice and soft.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jim the water actually doesn't do very much. Epoxy ages when the molecules inside it align. This makes it hard. Microwaving or warming it in hot water prior to usage will often misalign molecules and make it seem new. Each time you heat it, however, you evaporate more of the binder agent and eventually it no longer works. Fish masters idea sounds good but I'm leery of mixing two differing types of epoxy as their catalyzers are different (that's why it takes longer to cure in the mixture) He's obviously worked out a compatible ratio.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Safety Solvent is made for softening and blending Apoxy Sculpt.

10. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

marking

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Take enough for your use from each container and drop them into a coffee cup of very hot water.Check them until they're as soft as you want them and knead then until smooth.

Sotired likes this.
  12. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Heating in Microwave softens the epoxy sculpt. I only heat it to get soft enough to use easier. I have put a moist sponge in the container seal it for a few days and it really gets soft and sticky. TOO WET! but this epoxy sculpt is maybe 8 years old. safety solvent works better then water for smoothing and feathering out edges.