1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Feather curl /flare

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KLFL, Apr 9, 2018.

1. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Does anyone know how to curl / flare the feathers? Like in this picture? I heard a hair straightener?

167F455C-4128-458C-A192-38102BE49920.jpeg

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Thanks for that link! I haven't seen that little trick!

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Van Dykes sells a feather curling tool. Takes a little practice but it works! Once you get the hang of it you can curl a feather any direction, even straighten feathers that are crooked.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I saw a video where the guy said that you can use your finger and thumb nails to pinch the feather between them and use them like the Van Dykes feather curler. It works on small birds, but, on bigger birds it just curls the tip.
    The one you mentioned seems like it would be safer to use for those like me, that should not be around fire.

5. BackCountryWings

BackCountryWings New Member

Cheap larger round hair curler. Pop the “thumb” clip off so it’s just a round curler.
    Cut a 6” pvc pipe section in half to make a half pipe shape.
    Lay the tips of the feathers in the half pipe and run your hair curler over it a couple times.
    A few practice feathers and you’ll get the hang of it.

Good luck!

6. All the methods listed above will work. I started out using a modified version of Wingman’s tip. Think George Roof gets the credit for the idea to insert a thumb tack into the end of a small dowel and heat it. It works, but it’s time consuming and hard to get consistent curls. I prefer to use a travel hair straightener I picked up at a garage sale for $5. The heat pads are flat and small (3/4”X 2”). Captures all primaries on most birds at the same time. Literally, takes 3 seconds per wing. Even, consistent curls and no burning.

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I always get concerned about thinking of going into a store and buying hair straighteners or curling iron, panty hose to cut up to pin onto a deers neck, eye shadow for using in the hairs on a turkeys head and some fake eye lashes to replace a missing eyelid on an animal after you take the curl out. Add to that some different colors of make up or eye liner to do a turkeys head.
    If you live in a small town it’s best to go shopping in another county.

msestak and Wildthings like this.
  8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

kind of a fading fad it seems have several customers that wanted the curls in the past but all now want the birds wings natural shapes "fashions" come and go I guess

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

One just went out the door with the primaries curled

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

didnt say it was totally gone ya know

Wildthings likes this.