1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish taxidermy/painting is NOT art

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Kevin Neidigh, Apr 10, 2018.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I love pissing you fishheads off. You talk all that smack, but I never see your works on the cover of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Petersen's Hunting, or Fur,Fish,Game. I'd be willing to bet they make more for their work than you do for yours. Now, go ahead, make my day. LMAO.

Dave does some fantastic work. I couldn't think of his name when I wrote.

2. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    I really don't know George other than he's fairly intelligent and has the art of wittingly pissing people off in an entertaining way.
    Goerge, Ive seen fish mounts on a couple of the covers you mentioned, not my work. I have no idea what the illustrators make per cover for their work, I'm sure it's a good chunk of change. But, believe me, some of us fishheads can make big bucks for a single piece.
    I hope that made your day and you got a chuckle out of it. I appreciate your insight most of the time.

Another perspective on this art fart - Most of know the art of painting a fish is art. Then there's "fine art" Interpretive expression, the nutty-er the better. There always has to be another interpretation of art.

The more you conform to others the more you whittle yourself away.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA

i've seen stuff in high school art classes that looked better.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Why is this thread reminding me of this little clip?

5. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Tomelleri's work has inspired me so much over the years...the man is a legend and an artist for sure...heck in my mind he's elevated above rock star status!

Cecil likes this.
  6. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Hillary puttin his hat again, doesn't look good on you Cecil. I sure you did that for me. Get over it!

I have two posters of Tomelleri's fish charts that I framed. Great art work illustrations for sure.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Thats a funny clip Cecil. It wouldn't be taxidermy net if we couldn't argue about concepts that don't really matter. As Bob Berry once said to me, "Taxidermy..... of course it's art.... it's found in all the top museums.." In his usually cynical way, he wasn't making fun of taxidermy b
    Many of the elements that make up taxidermy are "artistic endeavors". Sculpting, painting composition etc. Combine them in the blender, throw in some actual hair, feathers, or fish skin and the end product will never be defined as art by the people who are in charge of the dictionary. That is if all those arrangements are made to become a mirror image of a live animal. It may be defined as art however by the people who hand us the credit card and that's really all that matters in my world.
    Kevin's original teacher situation is probably solved by now. Had Kevin's daughter taken freeze dried moose dung and made a sculpture I'm sure it would qualify to be entered in the show. (Even if it was just a hobby) lol.

Cecil and msestak like this.
  9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? And what in the hell does politics have to do with this thread?

:confused::confused::confused:

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I really like his brook trout illustration! What amazes me is how many fish and game departments and universities use his illustrations without giving him credit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  11. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    It doesn't have anything to do with this post or any post until you put on you hat demeaning our president in your avatar, you idiot.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

But he is really smart right? Or not?

msestak likes this.
  13. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Now boys........ if you are going to play in the sand box don't fling cat turds at one another....... There is a Current Events section for all that crap.
    Cecil, I'm not sure what Mr Trump's IQ is but he's not playing with dead fish for a living like you and me lol !:D

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'll put my I.Q. and even most here up against the orange man's any day of thew week. We all figured out how to make a living from scratch without daddy's help. I won't even go into the lack of ethics, lack of control, and incompetence.

15. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Ah, this thread about the teacher has pretty much run its course Don, just one more big turd to throw and I hope it knocks the hat off his head.
    Normally I don't like to argue or insult people but, this is so stupid that someone in this line of work would dislike the values of this president. Cecil, he's protecting your rights to do what you do. Every last person that enjoys this art that we all cherish is, for now, safe because of this president you mock. You don't have to love him, just understand he's on your side and give him some respect.
    If you don't agree, fine, we'll agree to disagree and you can live your life shooting yourself in the foot.
    Otherwise, could you please shuffle to a different avatar that is not a political statement.
    Thanks

DFJ and Kens Fish like this.
  16. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

As an artist myself just starting in taxidermy, my favorite is painting fish. But I am always thinking of ways to make it more interesting, more then just drift wood base. I don't feel that painting a fish is "fine art." But it is an art none the less. It is whoever defines something as art. These days watering down cheap paint and dumping it repeatedly in different colors is art. But I would talk to the teacher for sure and hopefully they are nicer then my high school art teacher who was more interested in who was popular in her class and beating down the kids that weren't, that are now magnificent successful artists. Maybe her making a really cool base would help. I honestly think if she does this and continues to do this, it would potentionally help our industry out big time. If i was her, I would probably have said ok teach, you think this isn't art? I'll come back and show you. And done some massive display with homemade waterplants out of plaster and wire and painted it like some crazy Picasso rolling my eyes in the process, then winning the grandprize. Trust me, as a college grad in art, it's all about composition. So make it. Good luck! And seriously if she decides to do it. I would love to see it.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Blah blah blah. You threw the turd first and derailed the thread by attacking me personally. I just threw it back. The president is a disgrace and only cares about himself. The fact that you can't see that says a lot about yourself. If you met Trump on the street he would spit in your face. Actually you'd be lucky if he even looked your way. He only uses people like us.

And I find your offense to my avatar amusing. I seem to remember the last president was called everything but a whiteman here along with some really disgusting avatars. Even remember an avatar that made his wife look like an ape. I don't remember you taking offense to that. Funny how double standards work like that.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What is art depends on the definition of the beholder. Someone at Suthobies would snub anything but a classic by Rembrandt, VanGoth etc. Some people think animals can create art. The only stipulation I see is it should be entirely original to the artist. No paint by numbers and no copies.