1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bearded hen

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bucksnort10, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

I was out on Saturday morning doing a LTH turkey youth hunt. Saw my first bearded hen.
    And for you southerners, that white stuff in the picture, that is snow. ;)

upload_2018-4-11_8-25-24.png

The hunter with his turkey.
    upload_2018-4-11_8-26-25.png

Another hunter from the week before.
    upload_2018-4-11_8-27-15.png

And picture of some of the turkeys we saw:

upload_2018-4-11_8-28-11.png

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

From what I've experienced, most hens will grow beards if they manage to live long enough.
    It's just that living long enough is a VERY big "IF."

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I killed a bearded hen two years ago. It was 71/2" long. Then I saw two bearded hens a week later in a different spot. One had about a 5" beard and the other about 3". Pretty cool to see.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  4. benp

benp New Member

It’s fairly common here in NC to have bearded hens but I had always thought of it being from genetics and the small gene pool we have since they were introduced birds. We have turkeys with the multiple beards and multiple spurs, some males even have no beards
    Congrats to the youngins on their birds.

5. Bucksnort great job on the youth hunts,they are our future

bucksnort10 likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

A common sight where I hunt is toms with one or no spurs. Not damaged, just born with no spurs. No bump or anything. Just a regular scale where the spur should be.

7. spurhunter

spurhunter Member

SC
    Congrats to the youth!

We have bearded hens here and it's a genetic trait from what I've read. I made this video here at the farm in March of 2017. There are 4 bearded hens in the group and a possible 5 as well as a couple toms and few jakes.

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Hens seem to always have a kink in their beards too.
    Last winter there were 45-50 hens at my place 3 of them were bearded.
    I’ve read that 10-20 percent have beards and it’s likely a genetic mutation.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My hen's beard had a kink in it and she kept it concealed in her breast feathers and the only time that I saw it was when she was feeding. It was around 7 1/2". I had seen her all spring and decided I would go after her in the fall if she had no poults with her. I never saw chicks with her in the spring so I went after her in the fall. She was by herself.

She also had a spur on one leg. Not huge but bigger than a bump.