1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy shop must haves

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mrtubbs, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mrtubbs

mrtubbs New Member

If you were going to build a taxidermy shop, what is one thing that you would say you have to have. I am building a building right now and have the foot print for my shop but have not pinpointed where everything is going yet. Hoping to hear some opinions.

Thanks.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Cecil and mrtubbs like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A skinning/fleshing area that I can hose down a floor drain, separate from everything else would be my first thing. Then a salting/drying area big enough to store salt and dry multiple life size bears and such at once. A separate drying room or part of a room for freshly mounted critters, close to my mounting area but far enough away to not bump the majority of mounts. Lastly a paint room/spray booth big enough to handle the biggest things I work on or may work on.

woakley144, Cecil, freeze_1 and 2 others like this.
  4. fishmaster

fishmaster Active Member

If you are north of I-70 I'd highly recommend radiant heat thru the floors. Makes working conditions much nicer in the colder months. Spray foam insulation instead of the cheaper options.
    I'd also isolate your air compressor somewhere you won't hear it and pipe your air thru pex, copper or pvc to each location you need it.
    I'd build a closet for all the crap that needs to have a home, cleaning supplies, TP, towels etc etc etc. A good paint exhaust system and also an attic fan or whole building fan. It's amazing how many days you can get by with moving air instead of A/C.
    LED lighting which is becoming more the standard anyway will save you a bundle in energy costs. A telephone and magazine rack in the bathroom is also a must as the phone will ring guaranteed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I’ll add, have a separate locked room for antlers-horns. This will eliminate the “ just wanted to see what ya got in” crowd, great guys that unknowingly do nothing but waste your time. You can tell them all antlers are locked in storage for security, they will understand and it makes you look more professional.
    It’s hard but if it’s at all possible try to not let the customers into your work area. A separate office and drying room with mounts hanging can help with this. They will stay a lot longer standing at your bench than in the office.

Megan :), woakley144, TIMBUCK and 4 others like this.
  6. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

A hoist.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

High ceiling! Great for building shelves above your work area along the walls for extra storage of manikins and other things that you don't want to trip over or move constantly.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  8. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Customers

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Lighting. Big windows to allow natural light in. A big air compressor in a separate building away from the ear shot when in your work area.

Cecil, freeze_1, John C and 1 other person like this.
  10. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    All responces on point, the biggest thing not to put in are chairs.
    Don't give anybody a place to sit, cant get rid of them.

11. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Lots of capital. Self discipline. Strong work ethic. Loving, understanding wife that is wealthy or has a great job with an awesome insurance plan you are on.. and lots of artistic ability!

After that.. nice showroom/office/reception area to represent your professionalism. Restroom for customers and women only that stays spotless. Then a restroom in back for employees. Skinning/ fleshing room. Horn storage that is secured and not accessible by public. Separate building for salting. Good air compressor with air pipes throughout the work areas. Adequate ventilation in the work areas. A couch in the office to catch a quick power nap on those 14-16 hour work days..

12. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

A Mascot (I have different live birds)

Chippers, rogerswildlife and Cecil like this.
  13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A crapper!

14. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

A "separate" at least a sheet or something to block it off paint area with an exhaust fan or at least a window for ventilation.

Cecil likes this.
  15. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

1. A sink or sinks with HOT and cold water..
    2. A good round knife(fleshing machine)..
    3. A lot of good reference pics..
    4. No TV or extra chairs. These are huge production killers..
    5. A washing machine for spinning wet capes..

Cecil likes this.
  16. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Set your sink/s at the proper height for YOU, so you don't forever have a backache from leaning over to wash birds, hides, etc.

17. Double doors 36”ea. !!!!!!!! Or bigger!

Trust me you dont want to mount something to find later you cant get it out the door. Without having to disassemble the dang thing, when that wasn’t the plan to start with.
    IT HAPPENS!!! It can happen even when you think you prepared for it.

18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I can tell you something you DEFINITELY do not want...a coffee pot with a sign that says "Coffee for our valued customers." You will never get rid of the loafers and you shop will turn into Floyd's Barber Shop.

artwildcreate, 3bears and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

A car lift. Not that it has anything with Taxidermy but I’m not going to remove it 4C2C6B09-5F70-498A-85C6-CA99B3EC6D61.png

woakley144 and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  20. MUSIC,play those tunes;)

woakley144 and rogerswildlife like this.