1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy shop must haves

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mrtubbs, Apr 12, 2018.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Climate control and like mick said, Music. Refrigerator and microwave. That way there’s no excuse to go into the house and forget to leave.

2. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Here are some of the articles in Breakthrough that dealt specifically on shops:

Baird, Cecil. Making Your Taxidermy Studio More Efficient, Issue 51, pp122-125
    Broerse, Alan. Setting Up A Small Taxidermy Shop, Issue 58, pp124-127
    Garland, Sandy. Part I: Shop Layout & Design-Organization, Issue 55, pp76-82
    Part II: Shop Layout & Design-Existing Shop, Issue 56, pp40-45
    Part III: Shop Layout & Design-Organization, Issue 57, pp50-54
    Part IV: Shop Layout & Design-New Shop Layout, Issue 58, pp60-65
    Part V: Shop Layout & Design-Getting Started, Issue 59, pp48-53
    Hutchinson, Bob. Going into Taxidermy Full Time and Building a New Studio, Issue 112, pp18-25
    Savides, Stefan. Tracks-I-Dermy: The Solution Shoppe, Issue 44, pp74-75

In addition, there are MANY related articles, such how to build a paint booth, Don Frank’s views on air compressors, making a turntable, and tools of the trade. Download your copy of Breakthrough’s INDEX, available at www.breakthroughmagazine.com. All workshop articles are listed on page 55 of the Index, and you may order the back issue with the chosen article. If the issue is sold out, we can mail you photocopies of the pages. Call us at 800-783-7266.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

If you’re building one make it twice as large as you think you’ll need it.
    I have a small shop and we are in the process of moving. I can’t believe all the boxed up things I have.
    Storage, storage, storage.

Cecil likes this.
  4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Separate wet room..... I do all my own tanning and it keeps the water contained in one area....
    Also plenty of room for freezers and a refrigerator....
    multiple floor drains so if you need to wash the floors down.
    I am in an old gas station and the 10'x12' garage door sure is nice to have, when it's nice outside you can open it and get plenty of fresh air

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  6. Im an alligator taxidermist and we have a huge airplane hanger divided into rooms... the office and show room, the fleshing and skinning room with a drain in the ground to clean blood with hose, the mounting room with our hay and woodshavings and winches and comealongs, then our finish room where the real magic begins...the paint area area where we scrub and glue the gators then a room to store mounts that are waiting to get paid for. We have a huge place with a outside area that holds 30 barrels of formaldehyde to pickel the gators then a huge flat wood table that is 40 × 20 to screw the skins down for drying. That kind of gives you and idea of what our shop is like but we also mount up to 1000 gators a year to.

7. Dave York

Formaldehyde to pickle the gators. Always wanted to get one some day but am totally ignorant with how to deal with them.
    Welcome to Taxinet.

8. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I highly recommend a bathtub raised up so the rim is waist high. Invaluable for fish, capes Washing birds etc. Having it elevated is really nice and much easier on the back.
    If I did heads and life-size I would have a second one in the area where you salt capes . Can put a grate across it and have a dozen rolled up salted capes sit overnight to drain. Then you can hang them briefly to drip before drying them out an boxing. You can find an old fiberglass tub for nothing on craiglist under free.

Dave York likes this.
  9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Fish,

I went to Tractor Supply and got a 50 gallon plastic water trough, cut a hole in the bottom and put a sink drain in it. then built a stand at an slight angle to drain then elevated it to working height.

10. Very easy, you just have to make sure you flesh the gators really well perferably with a 4200 psi pressure washer, the heads you have to makesure you clean them out completely even the jaw line so they dont stink then sink them in the formaldehyde for about 3 to 7 months depending on what ur mounting.

Dave York likes this.
  11. Dave York

One of my bucket list animals.