1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First time tanning advise please

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Toolfactory, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Toolfactory

Toolfactory New Member

so this is my very first attempt at tanning. i accidentally got my pickle too acidic for only a minute or two, and in a panic I added baking soda and got the ph back to 1.5-2 area. Will this fix the problem or once you get too acidic are you screwed? Like I said it only happened for a minute or two. I figure I'm already going to have hair slippage because I defleshed way too close in areas and I could see the hair roots. Live and learn, there is only one way to learn and that is trial and error. The animal is a skunk. Any Help is appreciated.

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

By any advice. I always used Saftee Acid and when I mixed it up for Pickling my skins or capes it always read 1.1. My local Water is a 6.8 pH. However, when I put the skins or Capes into the solution they absorbed some of the Acid and it normally jumped to a 1.5 pH. As long as the pH remained at a 2.0 or lower it did not cause a problem.

In tanneries they consider a 0.0 to 2.0 a safe Pickling range depending on the Agent you use to Pickle. - some agents like Alum and Formic are Antiseptic and work at a higher pH - but in Tanneries , they us Suphuric acid, Oxalic Acidic , and may others''

If you need list of safe Pckling Agents Please count me at - [email protected]

h

freeze_1 likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

As long as your pickle is where you want it, you are ok.

4. Toolfactory

Toolfactory New Member

Thanks I will keep you updated on how it turns out

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

As long as your pH was settled at and remains stable at 1.5-2, then you are fine.

What acid did you use and what was the initial pH of your pickle to raise such alarm?

6. Toolfactory

Toolfactory New Member

Thanks for the info, I'm using some stuff from Trubond tanning. it's embarrassing but I kind of forgot that more acid means lower PH, and in an attempt to nudge the PH a little higher I added acid which of course made it drop.