1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rug cuts into lifesize

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by George, Apr 15, 2018.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I just hate bears to begin with. As if there's not already enough work involved, there's always this o e Nimrod who insists his bear stand upright with this menacing appearance. Everyone know his bear was shot with its head in a barrel of stale donuts, but that doesn't matter.
    Then I open it up to find a rug cut hide that was skinned with a dull plowshares. Stitching is going to be tough and impossible to hide.
    So, when you have this: 20180414_193341.jpg
    Consider inverting the hide and sewing g up the belly completely
    20180414_193506.jpg
    Then roll the hide over. With a long straightedge, mark a line from between the ears to the base of the tail. On the line, put crossmarks every 5-6 inches. This will assure that your hide remains properly aligned when you see it up. 20180414_193421.jpg
    Slip the hide on your form as you would a child's pajamas. Though it may seem time consuming, it eliminates sewing up those tricky armpit areas and though your front seam will need putty and airbrush work, stitches will be even and inverted against the form.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good info George. Been there done that but please allow me to add that I first tack the seams together with a stitch here and there on the outside, so I can make sure things line up the best I can. You know that inevitably part of the skin got left in the woods. I then turn it inside out and sew it up like you suggested.

George and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Very good advice! It's always easier to hide an incision when sewing from the inside.

4. George,
    Thank you for sharing this knowledge, I always enjoy your posts...by sewing up the belly like you did, basically creates a tube/ case type hide correct?

As a new taxidermist (less than five years) I have not done a life size bear...I just got my first bear rug in. What do you recommend as far as incisions when skinning for a life sized mount a dorsal incision or can you case skin something that big?

5. George

On bears, it's a toss up. I'm sure the dorsal cut would work well on most applications. I've actually tubed them out as well and done the front legs like I did small game. You can still bet you're going to have to deal with rug cuts most of the time. Guides and outfitters like it because it's quick and straightforward.

Just a story but some years back a friend and I had gone to Ontario for a fall bear hunt. He wanted his standing on all fours. When I got the animal back to the camp without gutting it, I lay it out and carefully began the dorsal cut. Obviously magic markers aren't working on green/wet hides, so I'd cut about 6 inches and then make a small cut mark to both sides of the incision. Suddenly, another hunter came up and demanded to know what I thought I was doing. I told him I was dorsal cutting the bear and he quickly informed me that he was a professional taxidermist and that was simply not the way to do a bear. I just HAD to stop skinning and stood up. I asked him how long he'd been a taxidermist and he told me he'd been a professional for almost 5 years. I told him that was great and that he could come back when he had about 50 more years experience. That's when my buddy kept the conversation from going south by telling him that I, too, was a professional taxidermist and this wasn't my first rodeo.

Lonewolf, If you haven't done a bear, might I recommend a posting under "Lifesized Animals" with the title "What I know about bears"? Some people claim that it's been helpful in doing their first.

Bakerwood likes this.
  6. Thanks George, I will check that out...if there is one thing that I have learned when it comes to Taxidermy, there is really no right or wrong way to do something...its more about what works for you.

George likes this.
  7. George

Certainly there are more ways to skin a cat, but the cat might take offense to all of them. Most of us eventually find out that what works best for us is strikingly similar to what everyone else is doing.

8. fishhead64

fishhead64 Mount it right!

I got a good one I had a customer bring me a black bear a few years back it was square! Like a freezer. Yes a freezer! The outfitter was so sick and tired of us taxidermist bitching about how it was cut he said f-it I'm freezing it hole and they can deal with it. You think thawing a skinned out bear takes awhile, it ain't nothing.

xsticker likes this.