1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Archie Phillips customer service

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bryan Russell, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

I make and use almost exclusively my own replicas, but occasionally have to purchase one. Over 40 years time I have bought over 200 blanks from Archie Phillips.
    He’s always been a standup guy but now somebody else is running the company, and I’m not sure who it is. Their customer service is crap to say the least. When you want to place an order they act like you’re interrupting them and have an attitude.
    So I ordered a oddly shaped largemouth bass #1466 that I did not have a mold for when I received it the first thing I noticed was the whole side of the face and the head with smooth no scales on the upper side of the face.It also had divets instead of scales down the upper back. I said its covered with sanding marks, He said there are no scratches!? Look at the picture I sent him! He could not see them ! It was something I couldn’t even fix without cutting the head off of putting something else on. So I called them and the lady answered the phone very nicely until I said I had a problem then she said hold on, her whole countenance changed at that point. She put a man on the phone who proceeded to tell me that the mold was perfect he looked at it and bass don’t have scales on their face! I said I beg to differ! He got very agitated all I wanted was to return the fish. He said I’ve been doing is 40 years and it’s perfect because I molded it. I disagree it again and he said it’s a reproduction and then proceeded to spell it like I’m an idiot!
    He said send it back we will not be able to sell you any more blanks because we cannot make you happy? I said I’ve bought plenty over the years and this is the first time I’ve not been happy. I said so you’re not willing to sell me any more fish? He said that’s correct. Apparently I got fired as a customer. Since they were so rude to me I decided to Make this post. And such a small industry I don’t understand how they can get rid of a customer that bought from them for 40+ years! Here’s a picture to show what I’m talking about.

image1.jpeg

Sotired likes this.
  2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Congrats Bryan you are now the second member of the I won't sell to you club just like me. (Different supplier). Anybody else out there?

I'm seriously considering marketing fish heads to give that supplier a run for his money. I have lots of salmonids and other species to cast from. The stupid ass was making over $600.00 a year doing business with me and won't sell to me because of my "politics." You can't fix stupid.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Sotired likes this.

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I ordered a 76" Warsaw Grouper and couldn't be happier . Great service, helpful folks on the phone. Fast turnaround. Super light weight blank and pretty dang nice details. And half the price of other people who have the exact same mold/cast. I was pleasantly surprised.

Todd B likes this.
  4. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

Jimmy like I said I’ve ordered over 200 blanks for them over the years and never had a problem. Look at the picture would you have been happy with that?

Cecil likes this.
  5. Jimmy Lawrence

No, I wouldn't have . I would've called like you did. I was just saying I was expecting much worse all around, and it was a pleasant surprise with how it all shook down with me. And that was just last month I think. Sorry you had a bad experience. I've had poor experiences with almost everyone I've ever gotten things from. Few exceptions, but if you have enough dealings with someone, there's a high chance you'll have one or two that you dont' like. One out of 200 isn't too bad!

Cecil likes this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I never dealt with this supplier but it seems to me after being a forty year customer they should have just said, sent it back and we will make it right or issue a refund, your choice. It's their business and their name.

Sotired and Cecil like this.
  7. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

Yeah one out of 200 is good. BUT how do you drop a customer because you sold a pos blank.
    I have always turned out some pretty nice pieces from Archie and from Jimmy Warren’s so Its all in the finishing techniques I guess.
    I have four or five fish here now that I recently ordered from them and they were great. I’m still just shaking my head because I don’t understand how you turn customers away? Actually Archie and Jimmy Warren’s have many many molds that I’ve built over the years and sold to them.
    Most of the S-curve fish in both of their catalogs are ones that I molded. They did refund my money minus the shipping of course which I think they should have refunded also since they sold me garbage. Oh well life is too short to worry about it. That’s why try to use my own blanks whenever possible at least I know what I have.

Sotired likes this.
  8. Jimmy Lawrence

I hear you. That's a pickle.

9. BS quality Control on the companies part, to be sure every mount going out is to top standards.