1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

elk form size advice needed

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mcking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. mcking

mcking Member

hey everyone, how are we all doing?? Im in the need of some advice here. I may be a victim of my own worrying mind. anyways. Im ready to mount up a elk I need to get done. I rehydrated the cape and it measures 13-1/4 x 33 . The Form I have is 12-1/4 x 30 . Im not sure if I really screwed up here or not. Im used to always ordering my forms TOO BIG, then i have to spend hours trimming and rasping the forms down to fit. This Elk form obviously is a little smaller. I test fitted the cape and it seems like it would work alright, but I would like you professionals advice..........According to the measurments-Is this OKAY? should I add to the nose length? and leave the neck as IS? Im trying to avoid having to order another form, as its only 3" difference on the neck and 1" on the nose. At the same time I know a tighter fit creates issues with things lining up where they should . but I also want whats best here. please any advice here? I would highly appreciate it! Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would order a larger form.

3. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Your 1" E-N measurement will show in the rest of the head. The overall thickness and heaviness of the heads structure will show and I think you'll find you have a lot of slack skin under the jaw and the muzzle that won't due the animal justice. I'd reorder to get the E-N closer or right on. JMO

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If your test fit fits good then go with it, better to have some wiggle room then struggling to hold detail areas on face and body. Measuring a flat face skin from the side will always get you a longer measurement. You want a little overlap on the cape in sewing area, not having to pull the cape together with vise grips to pull together the 3-4 inch gape your trying to sew up, lol.

5. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yeah like Paul said the neck might work you can all ways add to the nose length a little bit the skin should show you if that is whats needed and it's really not that big of a deal to do. Good luck I did two of them last year and there a lot more work than a whitetail hope you got some help I had to have some help to just put the antlers on so here's to the guys that do them all the time