1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blood on Hide?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Slate Run, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

I am in the process of fleshing and salting a coyote hide for a wall hanger and the hide has a good amount of blood on it. The customer skinned it himself and brought it to me frozen and did not know what it looked like until it was thawed out. I know blood is not a good thing on hides and was just wondering if I could wash or rinse the hide to get some of the blood out before I salt and dry it to send to tanner? If washing is ok should I add anything to the water? My big concern is hair slippage and getting it to dry so it can be salted and sent to be tanned. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't know if this is the best way but this is what I have done. I put the hide into a pickle bath (pH < 2) overnight and then a cold water rinse. The majority of the blood came out during the pickle bath and you shouldn't have to worry about slippage due to the low pH killing the bacteria.

I am always open to new ideas so if someone else has one that works well for them, bring it on!

3. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Thanks I am going to be sending this out to get tanned so can I still put it in a pickle bath then salt to dry before sending it out? Just wondering if it will affect the tanning process

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I never sent anything out but I wouldn't think it should be any problem. It has never affected anything I tanned.

5. nemo

nemo Member

Call the tannery and ask if blood is an issue. They're going to wash it anyways

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Dab, or spray a little stop rot, or Lysol antibacterial cleaning liquid on it (they both break up the blood really well) let it sit a few minutes and then wipe as much blood as you can off with a paper towel, continue to the salt and drying process. It probably wouldn’t hurt to wash the blood out “IF” you make sure to get the water all out of the fur afterward. In your situation, though, I would recommend not to take that risk. If you don’t have stop rot, buy some with your next order. The Lysol will work to break down the blood for now to get most of the blood out -keep it as dry as possible, salt, dry and ship it to the tanner.

7. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Thanks Mike that's what I was worried about as far as getting the water out of the fur. I don't have any stop rot ,but will be getting some, so I will give the Lysol a try. Just want to get some of the blood out.